Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet Around 8-11 PM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Connn

Connn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hello there,

So recently, (as in the past few months), I've been experiencing a weird slowing of my internet speeds at night around 8-11 PM, sometimes even starting earlier than that. I play a very competitive game every night around that time, and it's almost impossible to compete because of this very frustrating issue.

At first i thought the problem was my modem, so I contacted my ISP and got a new modem and installed it. This didn't really help the problem. I then thought the problem might be with my router, so i bypassed my router completely and accessed my internet directly through the modem. The problem still persisted, so I called my ISP again and they sent a technician out this afternoon. He claimed that he "fixed" some things and that it should be all better. Unfortunately whatever he did didn't work and the problem still stands.

If anyone can give me some advice on how to fix this issue please do so. if you need any information just ask and I should be able to get it for you. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention not only does the problem affect my download and upload speeds, but I also get very high latency jitter (anywhere from 10-300).

Edited by Connn, 14 September 2015 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

It may be because your neighbours are using the Internet when you are. Try changing the wireless channel in your router's settings so there is less interference. You need to type in the IP in your browser that is listed on your router to access this.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Connn

Connn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

It may be because your neighbours are using the Internet when you are. Try changing the wireless channel in your router's settings so there is less interference. You need to type in the IP in your browser that is listed on your router to access this.

This isn't working. I'm using a wired connection if that means anything. 

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:11 AM

If you run a test a https://speedtest.net how does it compare to other times of the day?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 September 2015 - 12:12 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Connn

Connn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

If you run a test a https://speedtest.net how does it compare to other times of the day?

I have a 20 down 2 up plan, and during these times it reduced to around 11 down and 1 1/2 up.

I live in a very rural area so there aren't many good ISPs out there.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4666859865

^This was my most recent one, that's pinging to a server about 20-30 miles away and it's one of the better results.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4666870895

^this one is pinging to a server a bit further way, but not by much.

Edited by Connn, 15 September 2015 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users