Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invisable files.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 betth

betth

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

I posted a queastion about missing files.  (this was because of malware which I had already solved)

I got rid of the malware, and set a new restore point which the bug had disabled.

My computer is now running very well.  The problem is that when I go to restore files, there is nothing there-just a blank space.  I am sure the files are there I just don't know where.

My origianal post was moved to Am I Infected space, but I am not infected.  I did receive an answer suggesting anti malware software. (Thank you)

But my problem is my missing files.  I don't belive they were deleted, because everything thing else works.  I'm not sure where this should be posted

Anyone have an idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

G'day Betth, and Welcome to BC

I can understand your confusion.

What sort of files were they...pics, documents, music ???

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 betth

betth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:15 AM

Thank you Condobloke.  You asked the right question.  

I had no videos or music-only photos and docs.   I have most in the clouds.

but my docs and photos seem to be OK as are my photos.  All of my programs  appear to be working fine.  I purcahased a new SSD and migrated all of my info to the new SSD (just in case)

I tried to boot, but couldn't, I had a missing or corrupt  \windows\system32\ntoskrn7.exe.  I used my Win7 Pro installation disk as a repair disk, and it seems that there were many corupt or missing files  System files?

The thing I can't fix now, is that in control panel where I am supposed to back up my files the space is completely empty.  That space is also for Restore.  I was able to create a restore point after enabling restore, but it doesn't show up where it should be.  I thought repairing the drive would take care of it. 

Bottom line - I can't back up my files.  I used a Macrium image backup.  A little overkill. So how can I know what files are missing?  I thought the using the repair disk would work.  How can I get the files to show up so I can just back up from the control panel?

Any suggestions will be appriciated.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:49 AM

Please follow the instructions on THIS PAGE  for Windows 7

You will be running a tool called System File Checker, which is used to scan for corrupted files and restore those which are corrupted or missing.

If this process does not end satisfactorily and further attention is required, I will attempt to find someone better qualified than myself to deal with that.

Have you considered a complete reinstall?

Do you have any thoughts of upgrading to Win 10 at any time?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

The link Condobloke posted can be used, but it is aimed at Windows 8.1 and can be confusing if it is used to open the elevated command prompt.  For this reason I've posted my own instructions for Windows 7.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

Edited by dc3, 19 September 2015 - 11:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

Thanks dc3, I appreciate that !   As you may have guessed sfc and cbs.logs etc are not my forte !

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

Previous Am I Infected topic:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590036/restore-files/ .

It was suggested that you initiate a new topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum...you chose not to do that.

My suggestion is that you do as suggesteed...invisible files is one of the symptoms of some malware.  Such problems cannot be resolved here, nor can it be assumed logically that you are not infected.

Louis

#8 betth

betth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

I ran System File Checker result:

“Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.”  A relief.

Win 10: I was a Win10 insider and I can get it free.  I installed it on an old HD, and I hate it. I will use Win 7 Pro until the wheels come off.  I would do a new clean install, but I would have to reinstall my programs.  Microsoft Word only allows one reinstall, and I want to save it for a total catastrophe.  My post on 11 Sep Am I infected forum is still there and I will  continue to wait for a response.

But as long as my computer works well, I guess I’ll just leave it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Beth

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

You received a response in your topic in the Am I Infected forum.  Boopme has suggested that you follow this Preparation Guide and open a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.   You really need to do what Boopme has suggested.

I'm going to request that this topic be closed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

Closed per other topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users