Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking and how win 10 seems to handle it.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

Now I have a little experience and training in wired networks but not much dealing with wireless.

Win 10 by default basically sets up a promisqeous net work. Automatically connects and everything is shared but only internally I thought.

Well I changed all mine to not shared, manual connect, network discovery turned off.

However I have come to question what I thought could happen/work was right or not over this weekend.

Both of my oldest grandsons came to visit on different days. #1 went outside to use his smart phone and I happened to go online and he was in my network neighbor hood. I recognised his connection when I was useing his Timewarner connection 2 weeks ago.

That made sense if his phone and his cable are a shared connection at his end.

Grandson #2 comes the next day with his smart phone.  He can't get a good signal so he asks if he can use my wifi for a minute. I say shure I will set you up a connection. He says their is no need I can connect.  He holds his phone about a foot away from the modem pushes a few buttons and makes his call.  So much for my secured connection. How was this able to do this.

Maybe I misunderstand sync devices and what that really entails.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

Windows does not setup promiscuous network connections.  Sharing is limited by default so as to make it easy for none technical people to share information.

Grandson #1 was advertising his phone as a network hot spot.  Not a smart thing to do but expected by this generation of users.

Grandson #2 simply used WPS [windows protected setup] to gain access to your network via his phone.  You have to have physical access or know the WPS pin code to do this so there is nothing "unsecure" about this.

You need to differentiate between what connects to what.  For example both grandsons did not have access to your pc. One wasn't even connected to your lan.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

So ok where did my reply go???? I spent a good bit of time compileing it . I posted it and it was here I come back and it is gone.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:07 AM

In the past I have never had much luck with setting policiecs with windows built in group policy.

For a time I was useing GFI Languard it worked very well. However this I can,t afford on my income.

Besides I am only trying to work with only this one pc for now. LOL

Somethings I have noticed when I do not let my computer to automatically connect but leave it on for about 6 hrs the connection is closed out and the only way I can get back on it to power recycle the modem.  IF I leave it auto connect I never have this problem. I can leave it on overnight or even several days and never loose connection.

If you run the trouble shooter windows gracieously asked if you want to turn it on. Only other option is to skip this step. If you try to continue you get that windows can't fix this problem. Which leads to other problems with othe options.  Now I managed to make my connection trouble shooter unaccesible to me. My own fault too.

I made the mistake of pinning it to the task bar.  Now it wants a password that I do not know. I have tried every password used or attempted to be used on this pc..

Anyone know how to unpin something. Search the computers built in help. No joy.

In the past I have never had much luck with setting policiecs with windows built in group policy.

For a time I was useing GFI Languard it worked very well. However this I can,t afford on my income.

Somethings I have noticed when I do not let my computer to automatically connect but leave it on for about 6 hrs the connection is closed out and the only way I can get back on it to power recycle the modem.  IF I leave it auto connect I never have this problem. I can leave it on overnight or even several days and never loose connection.

If you run the trouble shooter windows gracieously asked if you want to turn it on. Only other option is to skip this step. If you try to continue you get that windows can't fix this problem. Which leads to other problems with othe options.  Now I managed to make my connection trouble shooter unaccesible to me. My own fault too.

I made the mistake of pinning it to the task bar.  Now it wants a password that I do not know. I have tried every password used or attempted to be used on this pc..

Anyone know how to unpin something. Search the computers built in help. No joy.

Anyone know how to unpin something. Search the computers built in help. No joy. I need to amend this to that I can get to work. I found some things in general search and tried them all. I see options to pin but not to unpin????

Edited by dannyboy950, 15 September 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

Usually a right click on the icon gives you the option to unpin.

I would suggest that policies on your local computer is an exercise in futility. You fight the bad guys in your front yard not your living room.  If the hackers get that far your policies are worthless.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Yup I am finding out it is an exercise in futility once they are in. Why I am trying so hard to find a way to keep them out. LOL

Perhaps it is all ready too late. (wince).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users