Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Each time I try to open Internet Explorer, the computer restarts.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jsw30143

jsw30143

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

Each time I attempt to open Internet Explorer (IE 9). My Vista Desktop restarts. Also it will not find updates.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hello JSW,

What do you mean by the desktop restarts?  Can you please clarify and post screenshot if possible?

Do you get any error msgs? (e.g. windows explorer has stopped working, Internet explorer has stopped working and must be closed....)

NOTE: IE9 is the last IE browser that is supported in Vista, and it doesn't play well with many sites anymore, as it is outdated. (Gmail, for one doesn't support IE9)

Windows Update still supplies security updates for IE9.  Are you saying you can't use WU?

I would recommend using Google Chrome, especially since you cannot install IE10 or 11 with Vista.

Let me know 

Mark.

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 September 2015 - 02:03 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 jsw30143

jsw30143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Every time I try to use IE to go to the Internet, the Computer restarts. I have Google Chrome already and was just curious if anyone knew of a fix or had the same problem with IE.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

Try turning off hardware acceleration in IE internet options (which you should be able to reach from control panel without running IE which you obviously can't do). You should use firefox (or... chrome... ew...) in Vista not IE (but I understand now and then you have to use IE and it shouldn't crash your computer.

You can also try updating your graphic drivers.

You can also try running IE in safe mode (I mean IE Safe Mode, not your whole computer in safe mode) which runs it without addons etc - it should be an item in the start menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users