Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 does not like you Not useing its shareing features

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

I have spent a good bit of time and effort turning off Win 10 shareing and sync abilities. I have the only computer there is no need to share and frankly I don not want to share.

Yet every so often I find stuff being turned back on. Like file and print shareing,network shareing. I have taken to every day checking to see if the settings are still the way I set them. No auto connect; no file & print; that I am still a private network and the like.

Is there anyway to stop this short of buy a network management program and establish permenant network policies?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

As the administrator of your network can't you establish a group policy [I think that feature is still in windows] that will set/reset those things every time the computer logs into the network?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

In the past I have never had much luck with setting policiecs with windows built in group policy.

For a time I was useing GFI Languard it worked very well. However this I can,t afford on my income.

Besides I am only trying to work with only this one pc for now. LOL

Somethings I have noticed when I do not let my computer to automatically connect but leave it on for about 6 hrs the connection is closed out and the only way I can get back on it to power recycle the modem.  IF I leave it auto connect I never have this problem. I can leave it on overnight or even several days and never loose connection.

If you run the trouble shooter windows gracieously asked if you want to turn it on. Only other option is to skip this step. If you try to continue you get that windows can't fix this problem. Which leads to other problems with othe options.  Now I managed to make my connection trouble shooter unaccesible to me. My own fault too.

I made the mistake of pinning it to the task bar.  Now it wants a password that I do not know. I have tried every password used or attempted to be used on this pc..

Anyone know how to unpin something. Search the computers built in help. No joy.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

I guess it would be easy to add a batch script on startup that would disable sharing features you don't want enabled via the Registry. You just need to find the correct values to handle and create the script. Don't do this by yourself if you don't know exactly what you're doing however.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Yea buddy playing in the registry and such is quite dangereous if ya don't know what yer doing.

You remember the Jv16 tools??  I made the mistake of getting to aggresive in its regedit function.  Computer wound up in the trash.

I some how messed up boot/loader and that is all she wrote. Never worked again.LOL

Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

Never use the Registry Cleaner, Booster, Defragger, feature of any programs :)

Do you have Windows 10 Home or Pro? Also, can you list what "sharing" features you want to stay disabled?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

Actually I am trying to disable all. I have only 1 Pc and one user. so there is no need to share anything in my mind.

I created 3 user profiles the first one windows set up by default[wide open].

Second user is a machine account only with admin rights.

A guest account with default privelages only and a local account only.

All are password protected with complex passwords.  I am finding out my local admin account does not have full admin privelages.

For some tasks I am asked to elevate my privelages I am in a limlited admin account???

Never remember seeing that before.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

I am finding out my local admin account does not have full admin privelages.
For some tasks I am asked to elevate my privelages I am in a limlited admin account???

What kind of tasks? Some programs needs to be run as Admin (right-click on them and select Run as Administrator) in order to be launched as Admin.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

Ok but this account is supposed to be a admin account so why does not everythink work as in a admin account?

By the way was somebody just in my PC.  For a few seconds all my taskbar icons dis appeared and re appeared like I had rebooted.

Only I did not reboot.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

It happens sometimes. The explorer.exe restarts automatically because it encountered an issue.

Also, there's a difference between "Admin" and "System" rights. An Admin account doesn't have "System" rights and permissions. Can you list me which tasks you cannot do with your Admin account?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

Admin tools I get a message I am not in a dmin act only admins can change anything I can only view or read.

Mostly internal system functions. I can add/remove programs without escalateing/raiseing privelages.

Some however do recuire when I try to do the deed.

I really need to get the hange of this snip tool then I could show what I see.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

I'll need screenshots, because "Admin tools" doesn't sound a bell to me, neither does "internal system functions".

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

IN most older o'ses you had admin tools. easy to get to and use.

Where you could run defrag check event logs start and stop logging, create custom logs. Basic administartive duties of a a pc/network admin.

I had to escalate my privilages in this user profile to just run defragment.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

An Admin account is able to run the disk defragmenter without elevating itself. It really depends on how you launched the task. Without more precise information on how you proceeded or screenshots, I really can't tell.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

workin on it lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic