Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialer.generic...found With Ewido Anti-spyware 4.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DreamRyder

DreamRyder

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

Hi,

I recently ran my ewido anti-spyware 4.0 and it found Dialer.Generic
I did the recomended action & it said it was cleaned.
Upon my next reboot though I rechecked & there it was again!!
This happens over & over...it seems to clean it, but upon re-boot it returns! :thumbsup:

Here is my latest ewido log:

ewido anti-spyware - Scan Report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 8:47:15 AM 7/17/2006

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\SPPInfo\PPSE1IDesc -> Dialer.Generic : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).

::Report end

How do I find the obvious program that is reinfesting me with this upon bootup??

I am running:

TrendMicro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005
Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 3.51.759.6511
ewido anti-spyware 4.0
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Doctor--Trial
xspysoft
searchbot search & destroy
ad-aware se personal
spyware guard
startup monitor

All Programs are up-to-date as of yesterday/today with the latest available updates except for SpywareDoctor.

How do I find the obvious program that is reinfesting me with this upon bootup??

Your help in this troubling matter would be deeply appreciated! :flowers:

Thanks,,,,Bobby AKA DreamRyder :trumpet:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
5.1.2600 Build 2600
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2600.0000)
NVIDIA
AMD Athlon XP 2400 Mhz
Pheonix Tech. BIOS LTD 6.00PG 2003
512mb RAM

Posted Image..Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:35 AM

This problem was reported several months ago. I have not found an official reply from ewido regarding it. peter.ewido was involved in a similar discussion here.

A solution to create a new user account then deleting the key using that account
was posted there. I found two other users who posted the same question at other sites, used this solution and it worked.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 DreamRyder

DreamRyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I read the linked posting & it seems clear & logical. I probably can resolve the problem via this method. :inlove:

I only wish I knew this 2 hours earlier! :thumbsup: I was so convinced that I had been compromised that I decided to use a well trusted online virus scanner (wont mention who because what happened to me may be completely unrelated to using it & I dont want others to not use it fearing the same results).
In order to use this online scanner I had to download & install it via Active X. I had completely setup my security to NOT ALLOW download any Active X whatsoever, so I had to change my IE settings in order to allow this ActiveX installation. Well, the installation was completely successful, & it did find & disinfect a few low-risk infections which I already knew about--but wouldnt have caused any harm. Now the post you referred to makes complete sense & I am not so concerned about this dialer find by ewido. Geez, I could have just unplugged the phone line completely, being that I use satallite broadband. Unfortunately, I didnt know this before I did the online scan install & scan because after the scan completed, & I read the results, I rebooted my computer. Well all hell broke loose!!!!! I couldnt reboot to my XP OS!!!
Fortunately, I have a dual OS boot system installed so I booted to Windows 98 successfully. I went directly to windows explorer to check my XP OS drive contents only to find that the previously assigned drive letters on my drives had been somehow reassigned!!! :flowers: My XP OS drive letter was J, but now it is L, so therefore when I try to boot to my XP it obviously is looking for the system on the new J & doesnt know to look in L !!! :trumpet:
This is way over my head!! I know it must be fixable--some how--some way!
Being that I have over 150GB of files, programs, & all sorts of things saved everywhere on my system I absolutely refuse to just format the drive/partitions & the like & reinstall the OS etc. unless there is absolutely no other way to resolve this issue. All my data seems to be there & intact, so I know I can grab a few hundred disks & start to copy it all, but the days/weeks it would take to come close to getting it back to where it was is totally undesirable & unacceptable!

So, if anyone knows how to resolve this issue your help will be deeply appreciated.

I am going to repost this in a new topic.

I dont know what may have caused this to happen...My educated guess is some vermin may have gotten in while I was downloading the installer with my system open to the world for Active X invaders!!

I will NEVER do that again..My system was secure & just to see if I was infected by one thing I dropped the protection I unwittingly opened my doors to possibly someting else much much worse!!!!!

Please wish me some luck, I can really use some right now!!
Thanks,,,Bobby

Edited by DreamRyder, 17 July 2006 - 05:34 PM.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
5.1.2600 Build 2600
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2600.0000)
NVIDIA
AMD Athlon XP 2400 Mhz
Pheonix Tech. BIOS LTD 6.00PG 2003
512mb RAM

Posted Image..Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users