Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restored mailbox database, can't see the mailboxes


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miles.henry

miles.henry

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

We had a database get dismounted and deleted accidentally, as a result, user lost access to their mailboxes.
Fortunately I had a backup of just the .edb, .chk and .log files, which I was able to use eseutil against to repair and arrived at a clean shutdown state for the .edb file.
So what I did was, I went back into Exchange Console, created a new database under the same name "DB1" as the one that was deleted before it, and specified the folder to use. Left it dismounted. I've also got the "this database can be overwritten by a restore" checked.
I then copied over the restored .edb and .chk files to the folder the new database using the same name was under, and then I mounted the new database DB2 and it said it mounted successfully.
The .edb file is 127GB, and I know there are mailboxes on it, however, I cannot see any mailboxes in the "Recipient Configuration > Mailbox" when I drill down to this new database.
How do I get these mailboxes to show back up?
I can browse the .edb with a third party tool, so how can I get the same mailboxes to "show up" inside the Exchange Management Console?
I see nothing under "Disconnected mailbox" either.



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 charles.newton

charles.newton

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

Visit this great source for additional information. Maybe will find something useful in that issue.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t25426221-restore_emails_from_edb_file

Try Disable the mailbox, then "Connect-mailbox" for them accordingly.

First mount existing DB and allow overwrite checked on the DB properties.

Then run in powershell:

Get-MailboxDatabase | Clean-MailboxDatabase

Then go into a DC and open AD Sites & Services and trigger Replicate Now on a DC within each relevant group of DC's.

Check Disconnected Mailboxes in the EMC and you should start to see the disconnected mailbox users.

Then run this command, changing the database accordingly:

get-mailboxstatistics -database DB2 | where { $_.DisconnectDate -ne $null } | connect-mailbox -database DB2 -DomainController subDC.subdomain.com

Open in new window

- Use DomainController it if you're erroring out on all the users and suspect the users are in the sub-domain.

Errors will also be reported for those AD users who are "Disabled" in AD.

If this doesn't work then try to restore via EDB Repair Kit. This tool may help you. http://www.edb.repair/



#3 miles.henry

miles.henry
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

You've been very kind in your efforts to help. Thanks for that. Solved!





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users