Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Search Assistant gone but...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 djsabreblade

djsabreblade

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:38 AM

Ok, I got rid of the Home Search thing, but now I cannot access my advanced settings in the properties! That means I can't change my monitor settings adapter ect... basicly all the tabs are gone! And also some buttons have the Xp shell style but others are just the classic look! Please help A.S.A.P! Thanx in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:46 AM

I'm not familiar with the details of your recent fix, but you might check start-->control panel--> appearance & themes (or display properties)-->computer's theme-->dropdown menu in display properties box at that access point... make sure it's not in windows classic. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 djsabreblade

djsabreblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:02 AM

Thanks but, the problem started after or around the time i had the home search virus or fixed it...and it is in windows xp style. :thumbsup: I myself have searched the internet and could not find any information on the problem im having.

#4 djsabreblade

djsabreblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

New Developments...i ran aboutbuster and it came up with the error something to the fact of "failing to remove sys/explorer.exe (fake)" and its true, there is another process showing up only in spybot as system32/explorer.exe but when i search the folder its not there so...i have a fake explorer.exe that might be the problem???

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:34 PM

....but when i search the folder its not there....

Do you have your computer set to show all hidden files, and folders?

XP:
1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the "My Computer" icon.
3. Select the "Tools" menu and click "Folder Options".
4. After the new window appears select the "View" tab.
5. Under the "Hidden files and folders" section select the radio button labeled "Show hidden files and folders".
6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide file extensions for known file types".
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide protected operating system files".
8. Press the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button and shutdown My Computer.
9. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 djsabreblade

djsabreblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

configured to show hidden files. this is a wierd problem...i hope i get help soon. thanx anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users