Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard & mouse don't work inside Windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:50 AM

I'm on my laptop right now.

I was on a previous message board. I was hoping those guys could help me with installing a disc drive, but every time I followed one of their suggestions, they ended up making my problem even worse.

Here's the thead:

http://www.computerforum.com/threads/what-cables-do-i-need-for-a-samsung-sh-224db-bebe-disc-drive.235869/

And here's my current situation, after all their suggestions:

I tried taking the bbattery out, again, and this time, instead of using the "default" bios, I used an "optimized" bios.

Well, that got Windows started, but there's only one problem:  When  I'm Windows, my mouse and keyboard still don't work!

They work while I'm still in "Repair Your Computer" mode, but NOT when I actually enter Windows!

So it's not the big black cable, like I originally thought it was.  The rear USB ports DO work; just not in Windows!

So ... can somebody here offer some advice? I'm done with those guys! If I follow their suggestions one more time, my computer is going to blow up!

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2015 - 01:11 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

Is the unit you are talking about or something similar?

Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE SATA Internal DVD CD RW Burner 24X Desktop Drive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SH-224DB-BEBE-SATA-Internal-DVD-CD-RW-Burner-24X-Desktop-Drive-/400516297020

Are you replacing the unit in your computer or are you installing this as a second unit?

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

Hi stebbinsd and Welcome,

You say they work in repair (mode) so do they work in Safe mode? if they do have a look in device manager,

any yellow triangles in there.

One other thought (and just a thought) Have you tried - Disconnect your mouse and keyboard, boot into windows and reconnect one at a time((to see if windows finds some drivers)you will need to be connected to the internet)

Good luck

Hedge

#4 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

Yes, they work in safe mode.

I WAS going to log on here annd say that I'm now using my desktop by loading "Safe mode w/ networking," but there's a new problem: Every time I try to load a webpage, it says the webpage isn't secure, and that I cannot add an exception to it.

And this is in SAFE MODE! If it was a virus, it wouldn't be present in safe mode!

I'm currently doing a system restore.  I'm hoping against hope that this will solve every problem.

My current build:

#5 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

Ok, I just finished system restore, and it didn't fix the problem.

Also, there's something I forgot to mention earlier:  When I reset my BIOS, my keyboard and mouse work until I fire up windows normally.

However, once the keyboard and mouse STOP working, they stop working, even outside Windows.

For example, if I use the power button to shut off the machine, then start it up again, and I press F8 so I cann launch safe mode/system repair/whatever I may need, it STILL doesn't register, even if I'm out of windows.  I have clear my BIOS all over again, jjust to be able to get to safe mode.

My current build:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

And this is in SAFE MODE! If it was a virus, it wouldn't be present in safe mode!

This is not correct, a virus can be active in Safe Mode.

When you do the System Restore be sure to use a restore point prior to the beginning of this problem.  

If a system restore doesn't correct this and you still believe you are infected you should open a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.

Since the computer works in Safe Mode you could do a Clean Boot to see if there is a Service or a Startup item causing this.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Part A

(1)  Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Part B

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Part C

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

(4)  If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmes If the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

When you are finished using the Clean Boot go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Short version

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

1.  Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

2.  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

3.  Click on the General tab.   

4.  Click the Selective startup option. 

5.  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

6.Click on the Services tab. 

7.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

8.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  Do the problems persist?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

Ok, I fixed the problem on my own, about the web browser problem.  Turns out, my computer clock got reset to some time in January 2013 (I'm assuming, when the motherboard was manufactured), and so all the websites' security certificates were set to activate on 06/16/2015.  By manually adjusting my computer's clock, I was able to load my webpages.

So I'm on my desktop now, in "safe mode w/ networking."

But even after my system restore, I still have the problem of my mouse & keyboard not working in normal Windows.

You mention a "clean boot." How do I do that?

Also, will I still be able to get to safe mode if it doesn't fix the problem? Remember my most recent post: Once my mouse and keyboard stop working, they stop working even oustide windows unless I do yet another BIOS-clearance.  I'd like to not go through that again, if I can help it.

My current build:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

You need to replace the CMOS battery.  I'm glad you discovered the time and date was  not correct, this is one of the possibilities I know of.  Once you have replaced the battery the BIOS will not need to be reset, it should maintain what ever settings you choose.

Regarding the Clean Boot.  I spent a fair amount of time writing the tutorial I posted above.  Read through the instructions and then follow them.  If you have any questions regarding this afterward I will be glad to help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

So, should I get a new CMOS battery BEFORE I start the clean boot?

My current build:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

Yes.

#11 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

Ok, I did Options A and B, and the problem still persists.

My current build:

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:46 AM

Have you replaced the battery?

If you have not, do so.  After you have replaced the battery use the CMOS jumper to reset the BIOS to the default settings.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

I don’t understand

According to your prior post for help

http://www.computerforum.com/threads/what-cables-do-i-need-for-a-samsung-sh-224db-bebe-disc-drive.235869/

I’m taken to What cables do I need for a Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE disc drive?

In searching for Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE disc drive it’s always for a DVD drive

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Samsung+SH-224DB%2FBEBE+disc+drive&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&pc=U147&conversationid=

What are we working on here?

#14 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

What are we working on here?

we're working on getting my desktop computer to function again outside of safe mode.  Until then, all "upgrades" are on hold.

My current build:

#15 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

Guys, I have an idea.  Tell me what you think of it.

I have two hard drives. One 500GB and one 250GB.

I'm thinking about taking all my apps, including firefox, complete with all my add-ons, my AVG antivirus, my HP printer drivers, all my games, and everything else I want to keep, and move them to my 250GB hard drive.

Then, I would disconnect the 250GB hard drive from my computer, launch Windows in safe mode again,

and this time ...

... restore the computer to factory settings.

Is there a way to do this without the install disc?  This is a Windows 7 OS, and it's also a whitebox build (I bought it last February from an independent vendor on Ebay).

My current build:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users