Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPv6 problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy0101

Jeremy0101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

Hello. First time posting, hope its in the right spot. Im fairly new to the networking part of computers. Anyhow, onto my problem. I have easytether on my phone and connect to my laptop through bluetooth. I wanted to share the connection, but when I go to the network adapter it says no network connection. It has IPv4 listed as internet connection. However, it lists IPv6 as no network. When I look in the window below that lists the options for the adapter, it doesnt even have IPv6 available. I have ran the network connection troublshooter and it says no issues found. My phone is Galaxy S6 and laptop is HP running windows 10. Any info or help would be appreciated. If more info is needed, just let me know and I will try to locate it. Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

I'm not sure what the issue is, do you think your phone should have IPv6? Do you need it? Is the problem the tether is not working? That you're not sure how to set up the tethering to work?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Jeremy0101

Jeremy0101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. The tethering is working fine. I think it needs IPv6 because it has internet access on IPv4. Let me try this again. I connect the phone through bluetooth to the laptop. Trying to get the internet access through laptop to an access point so i can share it. When i go into the network connections it has easytether adapter and network adapter. Easytether has IPv4 internet access, IPv6 no network access. The network adapter has IPv4 no internet access, IPv6 no network access. Hope this helps.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

"Trying to get the internet access through laptop to an access point so i can share it."

*smile* its a little more involved than that and ipv6 has nothing to do with it.

You have to engage Internet Connection Sharing since you have to "route" between the two network interfaces.

Google internet connection sharing windows 10 for the how to.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:10 PM

You need to do this wired or wireless? wired is a PITA. but wireless should be as easy as turning on the hotsopt on the phone and connecting to it.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

If I read the OPs post the "sharing" is via a AP on the wired side of the laptop.  The internet connection is the Bluetooth connection to the phone.  You must engage ICS to enable the dhcp server on the wired lan.  With ICS you route from lan to internet and back again via the laptop which is now a glorified router.

Default gateway for the lan will be 192.168.137.1 once ICS is engaged.  But the how to will walk you through all this.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

ugh....hot spot is so much easier. lol

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

Distance may be an issue that the AP would address

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users