Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 privacy invasion: Now for kids!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDoveMobile

BlackDoveMobile

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:22 AM

http://www.mtv.com/news/2254238/windows-10-feature-outs-lgbt-teens-to-parents-automatically/

I don't think this has gotten much attention on here but its just another example of the destructive ramifications of Windows 10s terms, spying features and default setup.

A parent noticed the automated email "report" and apparently took issue with it, since he doesn't wish to spy on his son.

I wonder what kind of degenerate and lazy parent would actually WANT a feature like this?

Edited by BlackDoveMobile, 14 September 2015 - 12:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:43 AM

Yeah,there are other articles too but center on that one, discussion (in now closed thread) was here.

The larger issue, is that if so much information can be given a parent about how the child uses the machine, then how much information on how the adult uses it, is collected?  The power to limit the child's use of the machine, so then what are the full remote powers?

The only solutions I can think of now are 1) treat a Windows 10 machine as if it were a public library machine, and 2) warn anyone with whom you correspond that you are or are not using, Windows 10.  That's what I'm doing;  for given the EULA I don't trust MSFT to respect my turning the Privacy options off.  They obligated themselves to POLICING (aka.ms/msa Paragraph 3b), so no matter what I do, they are treating themselves as an arbiter of my behavior (aka.ms/msa Paragraph 3a).

So I just stopped using Windows 10 and warn everyone else not to use it either.

If you have other ideas, please let me know.  Thank you!

Edited by brainout, 14 September 2015 - 12:45 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 BlackDoveMobile

BlackDoveMobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:47 AM

I didnt see that it had been discussed there since its closed and also about a different topic.

I think it should have its own thread. Hopefully parents who dont view their children as property and kids themselves will see it and take caution.

Id think of it as a library computer thats part of a botnet that phones home to a graph analytics appliance lol.

#4 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:13 AM

I could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if MS is doing much the same already on W7 & W8 machines.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

Oh, BlackDoveMobile, I didn't mean to imply that your creating the topic was untoward.  Was trying actually to help you state the point, by bringing in what had been said prior.  Sorry if my words implied otherwise!

Yes, Beel, that's my concern now too.  Lenovo just sold a laptop preinstalled with Win7 to a client of mine, but the actual license had been Win10 with DOWNGRADE RIGHTS so it's a Win7 license too.  He knows how to shut off the updates and check manually, and what KBs to look for, but is that really enough?  Who knows?

I mean it's so ... desperate.  If Win10 were as popular as claimed, why ship it unbidden onto any Win7 or 8.1 machine?

I tried to do manual updates, and the thing just went into a system hang.  Will try again now before signing off, see what happens, will report back.  I have the culprit updates hidden.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:22 AM

I wonder what kind of degenerate and lazy parent would actually WANT a feature like this?

This is your opinion. I can understand why some parents would want to do that. Check the video below.

This is a perfect example of why parents would want to monitor their kid's activity on a computer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 BlackDoveMobile

BlackDoveMobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:49 AM

This is your opinion. I can understand why some parents would want to do that. Check the video below.

This is a perfect example of why parents would want to monitor their kid's activity on a computer.
I think you misunderstand my position.

Theres a difference between being a responsible parent and LAZILY checking automated spying reports sent to you by a computer.

This kind of automated spying replacing ACTUAL PARENTING only incentivizes more LAZINESS in a society thats already destroying itself as the result of always letting someone else(in this case a computer) worry about it.

When it comes to parenting, you can not expect a child to learn to be RESPONSIBLE or TRUSTWORTHY(two traits all but gone in "adults" in our current society) by having a computer parent them.

Youre only teaching them that they have no right to privacy and that they will be constantly spied on(as adults), not to be responsible.

From a security standpoint, it also just collects a ton of data on kids and who else will be able to gain access to the emailed reports if there are security vulnerabilities in Windows 10 like there have been in every other version of Windows?

Its like buying one of those ridiculously insecure wifi baby monitors and thinking its totally secure.

Youd have to be insane to think that Windows 10 wont have plenty of vulnerabilities and this is just more attack surface in an operating system that seems to do everything possible to increase attack surface.

Does no one think anymore? Oh wait maybe the FPGAs do it for them now.

Edited by BlackDoveMobile, 14 September 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

I would like to say let's please be careful about designating "lazy parents"

This is based on how I remember my roots when I literally knew nothing about computers but I had to learn them OJT without any additional training. There were workers who treated me like I was the dumbest of the dumbest when it came to computers and they were right. Fortunately I decided to train myself and it was very rewarding to me. I volunteer at a non-profit organization and most of the people I help are not lazy or stupid but they do not understand so much of what they are doing and wish they could manage what their children are doing. I think the key is there are many people, parents or otherwise, who are not technically inclined when it comes to computers and they need a positive approach when it comes to support them. Granted when it comes to our lack of privacy it's more than an extended issue and we are more than at the mercy of what's going on: BTW, our lack of privacy isn't limited to what Microsoft is doing

#9 BlackDoveMobile

BlackDoveMobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

Aura

Actually, i think i should fully address the attempt at creating a STRAWMAN so that others dont feel tempted to try and create their own.

Nowhere did the parent in the article, the writer of the article i linked, or i advocate parental negligence or irresponsibility.

Furthermore, i am specifically commenting on how this "automated parenting" incentivizes laziness.

I know people who have been teachers for DECADES. Theyve commented how things have progressively gotten worse and worse as people have become lazier with technology that isnt REALLY advancement.

The state of the packed lunches that even affluent parents send their kids to school with was brought to mind when i read about this "feature" of Windows 10. "Its disgusting. A lunchable and a bag of chips" is what i hear is quite common.

Basically, inedible trash churned out by massive corporations designed to replace the WORK and EFFORT of making food for their children.

Well when they bounce off the walls from eating all that trash they can always pump them full of pharmaceutical drugs to compensate, right?

Windows 10 and most of its "features" cater to the same degenerate mentality that is so common now.

Microsoft is just giving the market what it wants, but what does that say about the people who like it? Lol.

Cmptrgy

Youre basically saying that educating yourself(effort) paid off, correct?

Im all for technological advancement when its REAL advancement and not regress disguised as progress.

People are becoming so helpless that they cant do anything for themselves anymore, even THINK. They rely on SOMEONE ELSE to do it for them.

The Windows 10 commercial could be summed up by saying "your children will never need to know how a computer works".

That mentality is both unsustainable and nonadaptive. We are the only species foolish and hubristic enough to think that the rules of nature do not apply to us.

If we become helplessly enslaved to corporations and technology we do not understand or control then the long term result will be the same as any other nonadaptive species: EXTINCTION.

As for "not technically inclined" people using computers, they should at least learn enough to use one.

You have to LEARN how to do lots of things like riding a bike or driving a car if you want to actually do it.

Why shouldnt people learn how to use the technology they use? Isnt that irresponsible?

And of course its not limited to microsoft. Its a pervasive trend and Windows 10 being the way it is is a SYMPTOM of the underlying societal problem that gave rise to it.

Edited by BlackDoveMobile, 14 September 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

I tried to do manual updates, and the thing just went into a system hang.  Will try again now before signing off, see what happens, will report back.  I have the culprit updates hidden.

I don't know what is going on with Microsofts Update Servers but I have the same problem when checking for updates and also installing them. If I manually check for Updates it takes forever to finish. On this last batch of updates some installed quickly and some took forever to process and download. It's almost like the time near the end of XP's support where doing manual updates took forever.

#11 BlackDoveMobile

BlackDoveMobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

I don't know what is going on with Microsofts Update Servers but I have the same problem when checking for updates and also installing them. If I manually check for Updates it takes forever to finish. On this last batch of updates some installed quickly and some took forever to process and download. It's almost like the time near the end of XP's support where doing manual updates took forever.
Ive been having similar issues with updates. I had another anomalous update today too.

I have it set to check but not install on my 7 Pro machine but Tiworker.exe started doing something and i noticed that this 131MB file was dropped to my TEMP folder mpam-37361a8e.exe:6344. I googled it but got no results.

Any idea what thats all about? I have MSE on it but it was not updating its definitions.

Edited by BlackDoveMobile, 14 September 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

I found this file that is similarly names. It is supposed to be a security update but of what the poster did not say.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/329105-what-is-this-mpam-873dfbddexe-security-update-or-malware/

For this page it would seem to be the Security Update that checks for Malware.

#13 BlackDoveMobile

BlackDoveMobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

I dont know why it automatically downloaded and apparently installed itself when i have all updates set to manual.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

Do you have Windows Defender enabled or use MSE?

#15 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

As I said in the "closed thread", there's a lot of opting in to create a child's account before one gets to the point where one decides whether or not to keep the email option checked.

A bit of further research shows that this has been a feature since, at least, Windows 7. I also tend to believe that it has more to do with COPPA than with Microsoft. Compliance, rather than innovation. But I need to do some more reading to be sure.

Yes, there could be unfortunate, unintended, consequences, but that lies more with the parents than with the technology. While one parent might chastise a child for visiting LGBT sites, another might use the opportunity to start a loving discussion which validates the child's sexual feelings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users