Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec/norton Updates/subscriptions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

I have a couple of computers running Norton Anti Virus 2003. Recently I experienced an identical problem
with both machines where the Automatic Live Update feature reported that it could not download and install everything it needed to - including the latest Virus Definitions.

I found some information at Symantec's website that guided me to Boot in Safe Mode, empty C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs and then run the Intelligent Updater.

This process seemed to get me back up to speed with both PCs..... However, subscription renewals are due for the pair very soon (the program's reminder screens have started to display) and I have just had to update manually again on the laptop.

I wonder if paying my fee (early) will "magically" restore NAV 2003's ability to effectively automatically keep itself up to date - or if I won't be able to enjoy that simplicity again until I switch to another product.

Does anyone know if what I am experiencing is a deliberate "marketing technique" or genuine coincidental errors ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

This topic discusses NAV 2003 quite a bit: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...3&hl=norton

'Tis my understanding that Symantec no longer supports it. The above topic also lists several AV alternatives.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Roniez

Roniez

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

From start of yesterday Symantec is once again supporting 2003 2004 and 2005 products, only in europe. the english support(american) will be released a bit later.

But if you are gonna use nav, i would suggest you to wait for 2007, witch is about to get released, and is also less system usage. and also has a completly new interface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users