Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about SSD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

I googled,and have been reading about SSDs, From reading all the techno sppeak on some of the sites I went to, If I am understanding correctly

1. You never need to defrag a SSD because it doesn't work the same way as a HDD

2.Your system wont slow as much,so its not necessary to delete stuff you dont use a lot

3. SSD wares out faster if you are constantly deleting stuff

This is what I came away with, Am I right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DagonCrows

DagonCrows

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

That's my understanding. Though I'm not sure how significant the wearability of SSD drives is when compared to regular, platter drives. 

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

1) You don't need to defrag an SSD.  They do benefit from optimisation using TRIM.  Recent Windows versions (7 on) and Linux versions support this.  

2) Not sure I understand.  I try to delete junk I don't use or need and clean out temp directories etc. as a matter of course.

3) I think it's the overall data written that's important.  I think they've come a long way since the earliest models and are more reliable now.  The SSD controller uses various wear levelling techniques which are supposed to spread the wear evenly across the memory.  Any system drive is constantly going to be having files written and deleted, that is the nature of them.  Drives used purely for storage are likely to be under less load.

This is the SMART readout for my current SSD drive (a 256Gb Sandisk Ultra Plus) which is used as a system drive, and has been in use for about a year.  As you might see, it is reported to have just 2.26% "wear" and over that period has written nearly 7.5Tb of data to the drive.

PMQO8ZA.png

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

A lot of older articles on running an OS from an SSD, will say to put your swapfile on a different drive since it is always being written to. I think that if you have a new SSD you don't have to do this, for reasons jonuk states. At least, I left my swapfile on my SSD and have not had any problems yet.

#5 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

@Jonuk76

What I meant is, for example I have songs I downloaded from Youtube. Some songs I listen to, more than others. When I had my old PC I always deleted the stuff I didnt use frequently, just to keep virus scans and Defrag time to a minimum

But if my understanding is right,with SSD, you dont have to do that because it wont slow anything down like it might have with DDR

I also read that SSD is faster than DDR because it doesnt have that needle thing jumping around

So, is there anything I can do to keep the SSD in top shape?

To be honest, I never even heard of SSD until I bought this PC

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

I see :)  I would say you don't need to worry about deleting songs you don't listen to much.  They aren't going to interfere with the operation of the computer.  Just keep an eye on free disk space.

By DDR you mean a hard disk drive?  Yes a SSD is many times faster than a HDD, and in some operations (like random access times) they are in a whole different league.

AFAIK it is still the recommendation to leave a certain amount of space unpartitioned for overprovisioning.  Recommendations I've seen are normally in the 20% range.  That might be a bit high though.  This basically helps the SSD to perform it's wear levelling.  Here's a more technical explanation from Samsung which is worth reading.  If your PC is pre-built, it may already be configured like this, but shrinking volumes is easy to do in disk management.  Other than that, just scheduling it to run TRIM every so often (I have weekly optimisation scheduled) will help to prolong it's life.

Some say you should put the swap file on another drive, but personally I haven't bothered.  Some also say you should disable system protection (System Restore).  It's a matter of preference, but they can be very useful and can get you out of a tight spot if something goes wrong.  I've left that enabled too.

Edited by jonuk76, 14 September 2015 - 06:31 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

Jonuk76

Yes I meant HDD,

I sure wont worry about using to much space. On my old PC I had 500GBs. Didnt come anywhere close to using half of that.I am not a big gamer,so I only have a couple of simple games installed.Mostly some Pics and music is about it

Thanks for your response, and I wont worry to much about it. I am not sure what brand of SSD it is, but I am guessing its samsung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users