Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Box

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hope to get some help with creating my first Virtual Machine.  I have taken a few stabs at it with no luck.  Now I wish I had taken screen shots all the way through because my notes don't make sense to me LOL.  I did take a few though!  Also, I've been to Oracle reading ALL that stuff.

1. Named VM as linuxmint-17.1-mate-32bit

2. Hard Disk, Selected "Create"

3. Hard Disk File Type: Left on Default "VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) at 11.0GB

4. Then Selected Start while linuxmintVM was highlighted, and got this Error:

oa3q74.png

And was unsure about this, I chose the default as seen in screenshot:

2ynjxwi.png

Edited by pcpunk, 13 September 2015 - 07:44 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

O-boy I see the problem, I got the wrong Startup Disk selected, how do I fix that.  I am looking at the dialogue box now but don't know what or how to change it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

This is what I see:

2nu7ius.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

PC- what OS are you trying to use in VB? Did you have the DVD inserted in the drive?

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

To change this what do I select "Controller: SATA" or "linuxmint-17.1-mate-32bit" ?

Paul, I think the problem is I used the Default Startup Disk as sro, the Optical Drive, when what I wanted was the HDD, or the Linuxmint VM that I created/loaded from iso.  I'm not really sure?

To answer your question, you can see linuxmint17.1, and, no Disk in drive, using an iso that was on HDD.  I just couldn't figure out how to get that Option changed properly.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

You need to point VM at the Linux iso you want to run, If its not in the CD drive browse to it.

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:49 AM

You can ignore the bulk of this video, but in one part it shows you how to attach an ISO to the VM. Keep in mind VirtualBox will look slightly different, as it was filmed under Windows not Linux.

#8 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

Tutorial (with detailed video) here on BC : How To install Linux Mint in VirtualBox

It's the same installing on Windows/Linux because all the settings are done through VirtualBox.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

My VB is different than those, maybe I need to update it.  Uninstall and download a new one?  And when I go to "General" > "Basic" Nothing is even lit up to choose.  I was going to post a screenshot but again this is my question.  This is where I think I went wrong right?  I chose the wrong Start-up Disk?

2ynjxwi.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

You need to point VM at the Linux iso you want to run, If its not in the CD drive browse to it.

Nick, I already pointed the VM to linuxmint-17.1-32bit as seen in #3 right?  Or am I supposed to do the same in Start-up Disk window?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

I go to "General" > "Basic" Nothing is even lit up to choose

You need to go to the Storage section. If the options are grayed out (and unchangable), make sure you've powered the VM off (as opposed to saved it's state).

16InlJH.png

#12 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

@hollowface:

You're right but I prefer to start over again because pcpunk clearly skipped the whole "settings" part...

Delete the VM in VirtualBox (rightclick and remove) and follow the Tutorial I suggested.

Start over again and follow the video step by step and I guaranty you it will work !  :thumbsup2:

The point you missed is that first you make an empty VM without changing the location and you do not start it...

After that you point it to your CD/DVD or ISO file in the settings of VirtualBox (see last reply of hollowface).

You set everything right and then you start your VM.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Update, I got it to work but it is not the same as the one in the video.  I did however run into one issue, when creating my Passwords during installation, I used "Shift" and some symbol keys and that Locked ALL UP.  Had to Force Shutdown, computer started up fine.  Now I am working on some personal stuff, Scanning a bunch of Documents.  I'll run though it again and get it right.

O-and thanks, it was not Straight Forward, I walked though the instructions on the Oracle Site and that did not tell me How To Do This LOL.  So good to have you guys around, I would have never figured all that out. 

Edited by pcpunk, 14 September 2015 - 08:19 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:49 PM

I tried to run VB and ran into and issue where I could not install the "mint-meta-cinnamon" package.  I forgot to right down the Error while trying to figure it out and Export the screenshots I took to post here.  I can't seem to access the screenshots within my Main account via File Manager.  Does someone have a suggestion before I try this again, because it is quite slow on my old system.

1. Can I access those screenshots via my Main systems File Manager?

2. Is there any reason that I would not be able to install a package like this, I would think I have enough space for that?

3. In "Drag and Drop" under "Devices" I chose "Guest to Host"

a. There is also an option "Shared Folder Settings"

Wish I knew better how to switch from desktops and such to make this all easier.

I tried many things to get access to my USB or to share files with my main system. 

By accident I chose "Take Snapshot of VM Under "Machine" in Toobar also and don't know the function of this.

Sorry I'm so unprepared but ready to go back and take a look, it's just that nothing would work for me and nothing is intuitive.  Here is what those files look like.

4lS3SL4.png

Edited by pcpunk, 13 October 2015 - 02:51 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

2. Is there any reason that I would not be able to install a package like this, I would think I have enough space for that?

If there is enough space assigned to the virtual hard drive for that VM, the virtual machine has Internet access and the repositories are up to date (sudo apt-get update) you should be able to.

By accident I chose "Take Snapshot of VM Under "Machine" in Toobar also and don't know the function of this.

Snapshots are like restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users