Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CPU Compatibility Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GunSlinginOtaku

GunSlinginOtaku

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hello all,

Going to be as specific as I can, it's a little tricky without my laptop in front of me, but I'll do my best if there are any specific questions.

I have an MSi Gx780 laptop with an i7 2960xm CPU and long story short it burned out and is no longer usable.  I called the manufacturer (Gentec PC) and they recommended an i7 2640m (and the reason for the switch is because if you look up the 2960xm it goes for around $300+ for a USED unit).

I gave this to my technician and he said it didn't work, no reason (it seemed to drop in just fine) but he said the video card nor the cooling system wouldn't start. 

The company who sold me the 2640m swears it was working and tested but I can't verify that.  Looking online (The same links I provided above) they (The 2960xm and the 2640m) have the same socket and bus speed, the biggest differences lie in the frequency.  I'm not to good with this computer build and repair business so I'm not exactly sure what makes CPU's comaptible with the motherboard, but I told it was the socket type and pin count mostly. 

They are also both G2's so my biggest question is, why did the new CPU (with the same socket/pin set) not work?  And what can I do to insure I get a proper CPU (besides the stock one which is just to expencive).  Another CPU I saw that I think would work (G2, same socket and pin count) is an i7 2620m which has the same frequency as my stock CPU.  Someone suggested it was my motherboard causing the issue not the CPU, but I've taken the computer to four repair companies and no one has said it's the motherboard, so let's assume it's the CPU.  Hope that's enough information if anything else is needed, let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

What you can do or not do is really up to the motherboard and the bios. As to whether it can support it or not.

All mobo's are not the same, if it is designed to only run 512mb memory,150 gb cpu at 1.ghz and a 250 gb hhd, there is a limit to how much more you can put in/use.

Same for the bios what it can or can not support.

For example they make memory in a lot of sizses,types and capacity. If the board is designed for 1 stick of 212mb ddr it is pointless to stick a stick of 512mb ddr in it if the board/bios will only support the 212. It will only use the 212mb of the stick. wasted money.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

my 2 cents = if you have tried inserting a brand new CPU (one that is made for your mobo's socket), and the problem isn't fixed, then your problem was probably never the CPU. 

I don't know much about laptops, but I am guessing your problem is probably with your power supply or motherboard.

#4 GunSlinginOtaku

GunSlinginOtaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

What you can do or not do is really up to the motherboard and the bios. As to whether it can support it or not.

All mobo's are not the same, if it is designed to only run 512mb memory,150 gb cpu at 1.ghz and a 250 gb hhd, there is a limit to how much more you can put in/use.

Same for the bios what it can or can not support.

For example they make memory in a lot of sizses,types and capacity. If the board is designed for 1 stick of 212mb ddr it is pointless to stick a stick of 512mb ddr in it if the board/bios will only support the 212. It will only use the 212mb of the stick. wasted money.

That makes sense, is there any way to check this?

my 2 cents = if you have tried inserting a brand new CPU (one that is made for your mobo's socket), and the problem isn't fixed, then your problem was probably never the CPU. 

I don't know much about laptops, but I am guessing your problem is probably with your power supply or motherboard.

I see what you mean... only problem is it "works" with the original CPU but shuts down when it reaches ~80c, but the "new" (they are actually "refurbished") CPU's don't work at all, so I was thinking it was just incombatability.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

There is an old program called belarc advisor that will give you more info than your system info does.

It will tell you what mobo you have and all other hardware and soft ware. However it will not tell you wether or not it can be upgrade with what. You can look up the motherboard at the manufacturers website and see what it can do or not do.

When I ran mine it did not give bios version, you may have to pull up bios by whatever key works with your computer  I had a in house board ahp board in a hp pc. 

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users