Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ads Shifting Right Causing Horizontal Scrollbar

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll1 (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you ever experienced this issue?

1. Voted Yes (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

Recently I've been experiencing an issue with this site. I'm not looking for help. I just wanted to report the issue in case other's are experiencing it. I'm using Pale Moon 25.2.1 as my web browser, which is a bit out of date (release date 2015-01-27). I have not tested to see if the issue is present in other browsers. When a page first loads everything appears fine, then after maybe 15-45 seconds a horizontal scroll-bar apppears, and the advertisement box jumps to the right so far that it is almost off the page. This issue only happens sometimes, but often enough that I'm creating this thread.

OX90WGC.png

I took a look at the site's code to see to see what was going on. My suspicion being that the adbox jumping out of position is what causes the horizontal scrollbar to appear.

ZXhtMlV.png

In the above screenshot we can see that the adbox code is correctly positioned. It shows a centered div in the middle of the page. This is where the advertisement should appear.

vzdwCh8.png

If I delete this div (and therefore all sub-content) the horizontal scrollbar disappears. This confirms the scrollbar issue is caused by the advertisement.

As mentioned before, this doesn't happen all of the time, which suggests to me it's caused by certain ads. Here's a screenshot of an ad that is displaying correctly to confirm this.

mwRp6m8.png

Below is a screenshot of an ad that isn't displaying correctly.

uMvoJb0.png

I looked at the code, and as you can see in the 2 below screenshots the issue appears with the iframe.

Nol0kQD.png

51c7imv.png

In summary, some advertisements aren't displaying correctly, and this is causing a horizontal scrollbar to appear. Please vote in the poll, to help determine if this is a problem affecting lots of people, or if the gods just don't like me inparticular. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

Issue is also present in Mozilla Firefox 33.1.1.

JuNEJN9.png

#3 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

I don't see any ads whatsoever on BC, even with my Adblock disabled. I use Chrome Win10.

Sounds to me like you have adware on your device for which there are easy solutions available within the 'download' forum of this site.

However, being a relative novice, I don't feel as though I am qualified to be able to help with solving your issue.

I am sure one of the guys/girls will be along in due course to offer possible causes/remedies for the problem.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

The ads that hollowface sees only appears when you are not logged in - which was the case in his screenshots. Logged in members do not see ads at all.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Looking into it. Thanks!

#6 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

Alexstrasza gave the simple fix...Sign In.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

I unfortunately cant replicate this. I am also using the latest version of FF (40.0.3)

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

ekj8F9D.png
qva60GQ.png

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

Just realized your using the Linux version of firefox. May have different rendering in a slight and subtle way.

Also trying to set your region and see if that affects ads.

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:44 AM

The last 2 screenshots are from Lubuntu (running in a clean virtual machine), the screenshots before that were from Windows 8 (my host operating system). I'm not sure what you mean by "set your region".

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

Your geographic region. Some ads are shown based on where you live. Unfortunately, I cant replicate this.

Still trying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users