Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't sign in to User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mouse Driver 8

Mouse Driver 8

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

In an effort to avoid what happened to my laptop (kids installing questionable things and visiting questionable sites), I’m setting up User accounts for them so that they won’t have Administrator privileges. Yes, my learning curve can be steep.

The problem is that when I try to log in any of the User accounts in order to test them out, I get the error message, “Your account is configured to prevent you from using this computer. Please try another computer.” I have tried creating multiple User accounts, and each user account gives me the same error. I do not have any parental controls implemented on any of the User accounts which are generating this error message.

I found a website last night that walked me through making a change to the registry fix some kind of call error which some folks had reported as causing this problem, but when I looked in the registry, the value they said I should change already had the good value.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for allowing the use of User accounts in Windows 7?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

See Answer at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/your-account-is-configured-to-prevent-you-from/f417ea87-086a-422f-b1c7-823f6c637b18?auth=1 .

Louis

#3 Mouse Driver 8

Mouse Driver 8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for your time and your reply, hamluis. I did read that article last night and it doesn't seem to help me if I'm understanding it correctly:

1. I did try creating other User accounts, and the same problem occurs with each.
  2. I've done multiple virus scans, and no infection is found. The OS was just installed and I was only online for minutes before installing my antivirus software.

Still can't login to the User accounts.

Some other sites seemed to think that the problem is related to a Crash on Audit Fail and suggest making edits to the registry. However, when I followed the instructions on someone's blog, I found that my registry seemed to already contain the correct value...

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

Non-Admin users may receive that message if Windows can't log events in the Security Log... make sure your setting is to "Overwrite events as needed"

Open Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Right click Security select Properties:

event_zpsa8tuek54.jpg

#5 Mouse Driver 8

Mouse Driver 8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

Non-Admin users may receive that message if Windows can't log events in the Security Log... make sure your setting is to "Overwrite events as needed"

Open Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Right click Security select Properties:

"Overwrite events as needed" is already checked. Weird. :scratchhead:

#6 Mouse Driver 8

Mouse Driver 8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

Well, something sort of strange happened.

I installed a piece of filtering software for my kids which allowed me to create user accounts for them through that software. The user accounts created through this piece of filtering software are working just fine.

So my problem is resolved.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to assist me - it's appreciated. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users