Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Size Discrepancy Between Identical Disks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

I came across a strange issue when backing up a external drive.

so i have two identical drives 1.81 TB Formatted

i used Robocopy in mirror mode to transfer the contents of one of the drives to the other the data was only videos and pictures so i saw no need to clone the drive directly,

when the procedure finished the destination drive was larger than the source drive by nearly 100GB.

I checked both drives with Win Merge and it displayed that all files were identical.

My first though was that perhaps i had set one of the drives to a different cluster size however checking the partitions they were both formatted identically.

can anyone explain how two identical drives can have a size mismatch that significant and how the files on the destination drive can be large than the source drive ?

i should note i ran chkdsk on both volumes and there were no errors reported and both drives passed a extended smart test

Edited by mikeloeven, 13 September 2015 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

If you are backing up an External drive to another External Drive to mearly have another backup , then you dont need to clone or otherwise.

If its only for Data - Pics Videos etc then reformatt the destination drive and just copy the data and then paste them , or copy to function.

No software is needed to do this manual basic data backup , unless it is a scheduled action performed daily or weekly by 3rd party software.

I do this all the time on a drive with 2 partitions - C:/ to D:/ and if i copy 50gig then thats what it copies to the other...never had an issue .

And then later to a Backup Drive stored offline - 10 years on and never failed.

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2015 - 01:13 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#3 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

you completely misread my question the methods and tools i am using to copy the files are irrelevant

i am trying to figure out why the files on the destination drive are consuming an additional 100gb of space than those on the source drive.

both drives were formatted identically and the files were copied to a new partition there should not be any extra data.

Edited by mikeloeven, 14 September 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

Post a screenshot from Disk Management which reflects both drives, please.

A Thousand Words, Screenshots - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515817/ram-showing-less-than-installed/?p=3222150

Louis

#5 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:07 PM

I solved the mystery. the source drive had a junction i was using as a shortcut and the script was copying data from a third hard drive which resulted in the extra files on the destination. i simply excluded the junction from the backup script and that solved the issue.

Edited by mikeloeven, 14 September 2015 - 09:19 PM.

#6 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

On a side note does anyone know if you can set robocopy to handle junctions by only copying the filesystem pointer instead of excluding junctions completely ?

Edited by mikeloeven, 20 September 2015 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users