Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

repair windows defender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 n2011all

n2011all

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

On windows 10 windows defender antivirus is turned off automatically after the installation of another antivirus program.The question is - what will happen if you uninstall a third-party anti-virus program?The first version - windows defender will join himself and recoverThe second option - nothing will happen.My experience has shown that, contrary to the assertions of Microsoft, windows defender does not recover after the removal of a third-party antivirus product.To restore had to resort to an embodiment of the recovery from the recovery disc windowsI invite members of the board present their practical suggestions in this regard.So - what are the ways to restore operation windows defender after removing the anti-virus software of other vendors?​

Mod Edit:  English translation above, Russian below - Hamluis.

==============================================================================

ОРИГИНАЛ СООБЩЕНИЯ
В windows 10 антивирус windows defender отключается автоматически после установки другой антивирусной программы.
Вопрос - а что будет если деинсталлировать стороннюю антивирусную программу ?
Первый вариант - windows defender сам подключится и восстановится
Второй вариант - ничего не произойдет.
Мой опыт показал, что вопреки заверениям Microsoft , windows defender не восстанавливается после удаления стороннего антивирусного продукта.
Для восстановления пришлось прибегнуть к варианту восстановления windows с диска восстановления
Приглашаю пользователей форума изложить свои практические советы по этому поводу.
Итак - какие есть способы восстановления работы windows defender после удаления антивирусных программ других производителей ?

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2015 - 11:57 AM.
Moved from Win 10 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

I am gonna follow this on my Vista machine each 3rd party av would disable defender and even when you uninstalled them defender would stay disabled.

I never found a way to re-enable.  I would get a message that it was not running but clicking on re-enable would do nothing.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hi there,

Windows Defender on Vista and on Windows 10 are different - the Vista version is only an antispyware, while the Windows 10 version is a full-fledged antivirus with the same level of protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

If a third-party antivirus is uninstalled on Windows 10, WD should kick back in automatically. You don't have to do anything.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

Thank you that is good to know. I have not installed any other AV because of my past experiences.

I do have Malwarebytes pro it has not affected windows defender on here with 10. Guess that is why.  The Mcafee expired before I installed 10 so was not an issue.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Alex is correct that Windows Defender should turn on in most cases after uninstalling the third-party anti-virus. However, in some cases you may receive a message indicating your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users