Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert 32bit to 64bit after Win 10 free upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:18 AM

I have a Dell laptop with Pentium® Dual Core T4200 processor. I note that system says "x64-based processor"

I installed the 32bit version of Windows 10 as my free upgrade on this machine, as it had the 32bit Windows 7 Home Premium OS installed; not a clean install.

I can download the 64bit to a bootable USB stick, as I did for my main desktop machine, and use this to "upgrade" the 32bit OS to 64bit.

Would this work i.e. convert a 32bit Win 10 to 64bit Win 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:13 AM

You can't keep any of your settings, programs, or files when you convert any Windows from 32 into 64-bit.  The architecture is entirely different.  You'd have to reinstall your programs, and many of them might not work in 64-bit Windows.  That's the conventional advice.

Now, I have Win10 Pro not Home, and in 64-bit.  I was able to get all my DOS program to work (which normally can't work in 64-bit at all) if I downloaded DOSbox.  Also, my 32-bit programs work in it, programs from the 1980's and early 1990's.  Point is, MAYBE your programs will work in 64-bit Windows 10, but I can't say for sure.

Bigger question to ask, is this:  WHY go to 64-bit in the first place?  Do you have a program which needs it?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

Unless you have over 4GB of RAM you would be okay sticking with 32bit.

#4 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for replies.

3GB RAM and unlikely to be increased unless new program demands. One possible reason could be photo editing but even there most likely to use my desktop with its dual high quality monitors. Laptop now used only when travelling to friends. Normal travel use tablet; in neither case, so far, have found the need to do heavy photo editing.

So will stick with 32bit on laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users