Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Doesnt Start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 isabzer0i

isabzer0i

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

Hi,
My computer keeps on restarting over and over. It never reaches the desktop. I can access the safe mode window and the Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility by holding the ctrl key. Please help my computer get to the desktop. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

If you can get into Safe Mode please do this thru Safe Mode

n order to figure out why you are getting random reboots, you need to make a settings change to your computer. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Setup and Recovery 'Settings'

UN check 'Automatically Restart'. Click OK.

Reboot your computer. Now when Windows detects a problem it will not automatically reboot, but rather give you a blue screen.

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 similar numbers in parenthesis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthesis).

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

Did this problem just begin?

If it did, enter safe mode and choose last known good configuration.

Let us know if that worked.

#4 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

I had a similar problem with a computer just recently. I have found out (but have not fixed yet) that it is most probably a overheating problem. Unless your machine is quite new and in a very clean enviroment I suggest you check the tutorial "Cleaning the Interior of a PC" that is available on this site. I believe my problem is shown in Section C. "CPU-heatsink and fan". The dirt on the blades of the heatsink keep it from doing its job and the CPU overheats and quits. In my case I noted that each time it tried to boot up (in normal or SAFE) it quit at varying stages in the process-this lead me to determine that it not a software problem. An environmental situation is usually erratic (time of day-humidity etc.). :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#5 isabzer0i

isabzer0i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your replys. I tried rebooting to the last working configuration and that did not work. It continues to restart over and over. I will try cleaning the inside of the machine and let you know if that solves the problem. In the mean time, keep your suggestions coming. Thanks.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

Enter safe mode and choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Type in:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

That will bring up the Windows System Restore wizard

Choose a date that is from before this problem started.

Click Enter

#7 gatetech72

gatetech72

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:23 AM

You could try booting to the Windows XP disk and entering the reocvery console and then press the number 1. then hit enter. then hit enter when prompted for a admin password. then type chkdsk /r

If you can not get past the Admin password try pressing the ESC key then type chkdsk /r

If you dont get the options for 1 but you get the c:\ prompt type chkdsk /r

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users