Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to make a UEFI boot live CD?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:10 AM

I was thinking a puppy version (Fat Dog maybe) that could be booted without changing my default Bios settings from UEFI boot / CSM disabled (i.e. no legacy), might come in handy from time to time. Is this possible?

If so, how to do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

If the linux distro has a uefi key programmed in it, it will boot from disk or usb.  If not, there is a process of getting one, which can be done for free, and there were instructions on here a few months ago.  I know, mint, fedora, ubuntu, ubuntu studio, and open suse will all boot straight from disk, the same as on non uefi computers.  And, personally, I think it's easier, they are all good distros. 

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

Looked closer at Fat Dog and thought it might do what I want "out of the box." I d/l'd and burned the 7.01 iso, rebooted and a small menu I've never seen before appeared during boot. Options were:

enroll key from disc

enroll hash from disc

continue boot (timer counted off to this as default choice)

Not sure what to do, I let it count off and ended up booting into windows.

I am guessing that enrolling the key will facilitate booting from this CD in the future, or maybe any Fat Dog CD (not sure). I don't know what enrolling the hash will do. Anyone know more about this?

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

followed instructions at http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/secure-boot.html

Fat Dog boots from CD now, no need to mess with UEFI settings. Seems to be fine, but only spent a minute or so checking it out.

3 minor grumbles about Fat Dog: it takes a while to load - much longer than Tahr Pup; it doesn't support saving session data to CD - only DVD (I currently only have CDs on hand); rebooting only took me back to Fat Dog - I was unable to open the CD drive for entire time of shut down and re-boot - actually shutting down and restarting solved that.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

Wow, that sucks you have to go though all that, and, that guys needs a new cell phone with better camera LOL.  Tahr surely boots quick, love it!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

Enrolling the key only needs to be done once - it allows Secure Boot to "trust" Fat Dog's boot loader (or something like that). Now it just boots to Fat Dog if I have that CD in the drive, or Windows otherwise.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

Sorry I didn't have time to get back to you.  Yes the key is what you need.  I did not know fat dog had a key, but it's not surprising.  From what I understand, the people who create the distro has to buy a key, another reason for a donation, and as time goes by, more and more are doing just that.  I wished there was a list, or maybe I should say I knew where there was a list, of distros with the key.  Windows will not operate without the key  So if you want to keep windows also, you need a distro with it.

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

Windows will not operate without the key  So if you want to keep windows also, you need a distro with it.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. When you say Windows, do you mean Secure Boot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users