US Problem With Windows Security Center - Windows XP Home and Professional

Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Windows Security Center

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

I was using Norton Antivirus 2006 before, and it disabled my windows security center to use its firewall instead, however after I uninstall Norton, which I did not like it(I'm using Bitdefender right now, it does not provide a firewall) and I have no idea how do turn back on the windows security center or start the service again?

I need help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

For one thing an anti-virus will not shut down the firewall.

The security is in Control Panel and is called Security Center and you can do the stuff in there. And if you have been using the Windows firewall I would like to see if your computer is infected and this is free and will help you tremendously

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

Here is a list of 10 free or free to try firewalls, please pick one and wait to install it until after the HijackThis is done.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

I would not wait until a volunteer checked your HJT log, if you think you are infected and choose to submit one, to be without the protection of a firewall. You can find several free firewalls, any of which are superior to the one that comes with Windows, here:

BC Free Apps

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 16 July 2006 - 08:23 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

The problem is I am pretty sure that my computer is not infected, I have bitdefender 9 standard, spyware doctor 4, xoftspy, and ad-adware Personal, which the only problem I have is not knowing how to start the security center again. my windows security center indicates that the service is not available? try to reboot or "start" the security center service again.

which I have no idea how to start it.
plz help again!!

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

The problem is I am pretty sure that my computer is not infected, I have bitdefender 9 standard, spyware doctor 4, xoftspy, and ad-adware Personal, which the only problem I have is not knowing how to start the security center again. my windows security center indicates that the service is not available? try to reboot or "start" the security center service again.

plz help again!!

Perhaps open RUN & type in services.msc & click OK.

Posted Image

In the Services window you can start the service--
See picture--

http://i1.tinypic.com/2078ff6.jpg

This might be what you need.

EDIT- Make sure the service is Started.

You might have to restart the computer.

Edited by medab1, 16 July 2006 - 09:41 PM.

#7 mlurp

mlurp

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

plz help again!!

If I was you I would follow the advise given and check out the FREE spyware utilities. I run each of these and have so for years . Just got the paid version of ewido several days ago also the free M$ Windoze Defender. And I have had several items that required removal. Never say never if you go online. The crackers improve everyday. Apple users are learning that now. :thumbsup:

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

Just download and install ZoneAlarm Free

ZoneAlarm (freeware) V. 6.1.744:
http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html
(you can have only one software firewall running. More than one will conflict)

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hey if he is sure he isnot infected and does not want to go thru the proper troubleshooting I think we should agree with him. I ahve been doing computers for 28 years and I have never seen a computer outside of one that was fried that did not have any infections. I do not understand why they turn down free detection procedures.

I guess I am not needed here. Have a good night. Sigh!!!!!!!!!

#10 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:55 AM

plz help again!!

Perhaps open RUN & type in services.msc & click OK.

Posted Image

In the Services window you can start the service--
See picture--

http://i1.tinypic.com/2078ff6.jpg

This might be what you need.

EDIT- Make sure the service is Started.

You might have to restart the computer.

thanx alot, thank you

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:39 PM

thanx alot, thank you

Glad you got it to work. :thumbsup:

#12 mlurp

mlurp

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hey if he is sure he isnot infected and does not want to go thru the proper troubleshooting I think we should agree with him. I ahve been doing computers for 28 years and I have never seen a computer outside of one that was fried that did not have any infections. I do not understand why they turn down free detection procedures.

I guess I am not needed here. Have a good night. Sigh!!!!!!!!!

I agree and my (lack of wisdom & experience) 5 years at PC's is just what you stated. And it gets worst everyday now that schools have teens with bad attitudes gainning experience at 13 onwards.
Security classes should be required to even buy a PC! And then yearly testing! IMHO!!
And tyour needed some just aren't aware yet. 28 years experience is always a plus to me. I could fill your PM or e-mail box everyday with questions. But I won't out of respect for the 28 years! And forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users