Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2FNFAST

2FNFAST

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

hey,i got a computer for free by a friend,its a old computer too,

it had windows 95,and it was superslow,i mean the mouse was to powerfull for the computer,

so i put windows 98se on it,

then it work's,u can aculy use the computer,

but

what should i do to boost it up,

sould i update it,clean it, or what,

tell me what i should do to it too make it fast,cause the speed it ok, :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:48 AM

i mean the mouse was to powerfull for the computer,

What Do you mean by that?
A mouse is basically a ten dollar item anymore.
Works with any system. Unless it is USB and Windows 95.

I would recommend formatting and doing a clean install of 98

Make sure you have all your drivers ready beforehand.
Sound, video, modem, network etc.

Unfortunately, if the system had Windows 95 on it originally, it is going to take more time than it is worth!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:36 AM

Run everest 1.51 and post the hardware spec about the computer. I believe Eyesee is right thought. You probably have a computer that will barely run '98. You may be able to run one of the Live Linux Distro and have some fun.
Let us know what hardware is install in your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

Well if you want to make it go faster you should stay with Windows95. If it has USB ports then buy a copy of Windows95 Plus. This will give you access to your USB ports so you can use a USB mouse,keyboard,etc.

If you want more compatibility do a fresh install of Windows98 SE. This will probally be the best choice for your system. Nothing hard will be required to install it. Just put in the CD-rom or Floppy Boot Disk and there you go. You will probally want to upgrade your ram to atleast 128mb if you do not already have it.

A Windows 95 machine will run Windows XP fairly decently with a RAM upgrade. I would recomend atleast 256MB of RAM, but you will probally have to upgrade your BIOS to support the newer amounts of RAM. You will need to find out the make, model, and manufacturer of your motherboard. I am not sure if Everest will provide that info. You can boot up with th XP CD-rom or Floppy Boot Disk and install XP. It will take a while to install XP but it will run pretty decently after installation.

Also people please do not tell me that it is impossible to install XP on a Windows95 machine I have one with a:

Pentium II 350mghz
96mb ram
2gb HD
Video Card: Generic
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Yes everest or Belarc will give you the infomation about the MoBo and every other aspect of the hard where.
TOS you run XP on a 350Mhz\96mb system? Good to know. I have never done that but I do run W2k on a P-II 400Mhz and it is smoking fast (well sorta).
When I said it may barely run 98, I think of 95 machines being P-I 133Mhz or K5 200mhz with 32mb of RAM. I personally run a P-III 500Mhz with XP Pro.
If you still have 95 onboard try Start> Run> msd and see what it lists.

Edited by acklan, 19 July 2006 - 07:27 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

Yes everest or Belarc will give you the infomation about the MoBo and every other aspect of the hard where.
TOS you run XP on a 350Mhz\96mb system? Good to know. I have never done that but I do run W2k on a P-II 400Mhz and it is smoking fast (well sorta).
When I said it may barely run 98, I think of 95 machines being P-I 133Mhz or K5 200mhz with 32mb of RAM. I personally run a P-III 500Mhz with XP Pro.
If you still have 95 onboard try Start> Run> msd and see what it lists.

Ok, now looking at your definition of Windows95 machines it would still run XP with a simple RAM upgrade, but boot up takes 30 mins (on a 486 DX 66mhz cpu)(with 128mb RAM) so it is not recomended. I will say though that Windows 98 SE will run on a P-133Mhz I run one upstairs it is pretty darn fast too. If you were to put XP on one of those machines atleast put the graphic to the Windows Classic. What would also help is disabling a few services to make boot up faster. I am just giving some options for you. :thumbsup:

Also,Acklan I have older computers running XP but I almost never use them for obvious reasons lol
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users