Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Are Windows Event Log Files Stored?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 warcat

warcat

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

Hi --

I'm working on a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium and none of the applications want to run, in normal or safe Windows. I started a chkdsk in GUI with both boxes checked. On step 4 of 5, at around File 3472, I got a BSOD, but it was so fast, I did not see any of the specifics. I tried to use Event Viewer, but that plug-in will not load for this computer. It has very limited capabilities at this point. I can access the drive and move or copy files but that is about it. I'm thinking if I could find where the log files are stored, i could copy them on a flash drive and use another computer with 3rd party software to look at the event logs to see what's going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

Go to control panel, system and security down on the bottom to the left.

Edited by OldPhil, 12 September 2015 - 05:55 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thanks! Found them, but the hard drive was about to go, so I saved what data I could, put in a new HD and did a reinstall.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,755 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

Good to go!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users