Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horizontal Black Lines Then Crash After GPU Driver Update

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RDoringo

RDoringo

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

All,

I just bought a new hard drive and installed windows.  Everything went fine with the installation.   Windows downloaded an update for my Radeon HD 6870 automatically, and I restarted.  After the restart, my welcome screen had horizontal black lines running across it (each line separate by maybe 3/4 of an inch).  After logging, the screen went totally black after maybe 45 seconds, and I had to do a hard reset.

I started in safe mode and rolled back the driver update.  When I restarted, everything was fine.  I changed my update settings so that windows wouldn't download and install the driver automatically.  I then manually downloaded the most recent AMD catalyst software suite and installed the latest driver for my card.  I restarted and ran into the exact same problem: several horizontal lines running across my screen and a black screen shortly after logging in. 

Note: The only other thing I've downloaded with the new hard drive is google chrome.  So, we're dealing with what I hope is a very narrow universe of potential problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:15 PM

I then manually downloaded the most recent AMD catalyst software suite and installed the latest driver for my card.  I restarted and ran into the exact same problem:

You probably inadvertantly downloaded the same driver that Windows did, so you are having the identical problems. Most likely a buggy driver, which is a very common issue. That's why if I have a driver that is doing fine I don't "upgrade" it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :)

Roll back your drivers again and use the original driver, then contact Radeon/Asus help, chances are others are having the same problem.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

I then manually downloaded the most recent AMD catalyst software suite and installed the latest driver for my card.  I restarted and ran into the exact same problem:

You probably inadvertantly downloaded the same driver that Windows did, so you are having the identical problems. Most likely a buggy driver, which is a very common issue. That's why if I have a driver that is doing fine I don't "upgrade" it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :)

Roll back your drivers again and use the original driver, then contact Radeon/Asus help, chances are others are having the same problem.

Thank you for your reply.  But I'm not so sure this is just a buggy driver issue.  A couple of notes:  (i)  when I roll back my drivers, the device manager doesn't seem to recognize my card; instead, it just "standard vga adapter" or something like that (when I update my drivers, device manager does show the card name... but of course everything else is screwed), (ii) the driver that windows installs automatically is different from the one I downloaded from the AMD website.  The Windows download gives me Driver Version 8.850 while I downloaded version 15.20 on the website.

#4 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:34 PM

Update:  For what it's worth, I happened to have a Radeon HD 6850 lying around.  I got it from a friend who upgraded about a year ago.  I'm honestly not even sure if the card is any good.  Anyway, I installed the card, but when I turned the computer on, my mobo beeped 5 times and I got no display.  Fan on the card was definitely spinning.  Google tells me that 5 beeps from my mobo indicates a video card issue, which of course makes sense.  I reinstalled my 6870 and was able to boot up just fine with the standard vga drivers.  

Also, could someone please tell me whether it's possible that my video card needs to be totally replaced, even if I am still able to boot regularly with the standard drivers and into safe mode after downloading any catalyst driver?  Really at a loss here, and sincerely hoping I don't have to upgrade my video card now.

Edited by RDoringo, 13 September 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:40 PM

What drivers were you using for your 6870 before you installed Windows 7 on your new HDD?  Was the previous version Windows 7 also, or a different version of Windows?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:08 AM

What drivers were you using for your 6870 before you installed Windows 7 on your new HDD?  Was the previous version Windows 7 also, or a different version of Windows?

I believe the previous drivers were the 14.9 release.  Yes, the previous version was also Windows 7.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

Ok, for now roll back to the 14.9 drivers; at least that will  get you up and running properly until you can figure out what the problem is. Scour the ATI website for any explanations; usually there are users' forums, post in and you may get your answer. It ATI has a consumer help email or phone, use those. I had a situation once where there was a problem with an Nvidia card and we went around in circles until we discovered a posting from Nvidia that said that particular video card would not work in AMD mainboards. I still think the problem is buggy drivers and a conflict with that card. If it worked fine with 14.9 drivers but will not work with updated drivers there is no other explanation.

#8 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

Ok, for now roll back to the 14.9 drivers; at least that will  get you up and running properly until you can figure out what the problem is. Scour the ATI website for any explanations; usually there are users' forums, post in and you may get your answer. It ATI has a consumer help email or phone, use those. I had a situation once where there was a problem with an Nvidia card and we went around in circles until we discovered a posting from Nvidia that said that particular video card would not work in AMD mainboards. I still think the problem is buggy drivers and a conflict with that card. If it worked fine with 14.9 drivers but will not work with updated drivers there is no other explanation.

Ah, I think we have a bit of a misunderstanding. The card apparently does not work with any drivers right now, including the 14.9.  When I download any driver, install it, and restart, I get the horizontal lines to black screen problem.  I am able to boot into safe mode after installing new drivers, and everything seems to work fine in safe mode.  When I roll back the drivers in safe mode, it reverts to something like 6.50 (which aren't even listed on AMD's website as a previous driver version for my card), and the device manager no longer recognizes my card as a 6870.  It just shows it as "Standard VGA Display Adapter."  I'll note that device manager does recognize my card and the correct driver in safe mode after installing one of the newer drivers. Also, this card has worked on my mobo for a couple years, so I don't think it's a compatibility issue.

I did a fresh installation of windows on the new hard drive, and the old hard drive isn't even installed in the computer yet.  So, I basically started from scratch.  I should also point out that what precipitated all these changes was my computer crashing a while back.  My best guess was that my processor had failed, so I purchased a new one (AMD FX 8320).  After I installed it and booted up, windows couldn't start because (I assume) some boot files were corrupted.  I couldn't fix that problem.  I wanted to get a new hard drive anyway, so I bought the new one and did my fresh Windows installation.  Now everything seems fine except this frustrating graphics card problem.

It could be that my card was damaged somehow when the computer initially crashed, but everything seems to work fine in safe mode and before installing any updated drivers.  I'm just really at a loss with this particular issue.

Thank you again for your help. 

#9 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

So, a bit of an update. This morning, after downloading numerous windows updates over the last couple of days, I allowed windows to download and install a driver for the 6870 (driver version 8.50).  After installing and restarting, I didn't get the horizontal black lines issue.  After logging in, I get a message from windows that the driver installed successfully.  I check device manager and it recognizes my card and the driver I downloaded. At this point, I'm feeling hopeful! 

Then I launched Chrome, and it went straight to black screen . . . Sigh.

Anybody have a suggestion?  Thanks.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

Try Firefox; what happens?

#11 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

I restarted and left my computer just sit for a while. It didn't crash. I launched Internet Explorer and left it sit. Didn't crash. I then tried to launch chrome, and it went to black screen immediately.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:16 PM

You found your problem; Chrome.  I suspect that Firefox would also run clean. Carefully check the configs in Chrome, something is not right.

#13 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:22 PM

Ok, thanks. I will poke around in Chrome. Also, it doesn't seem like the Amd Catalyst Control Center is launching anymore. I don't know if it's timing out or what.

#14 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Well, I haven't been able to fix anything.  I am still getting errors that aren't related only to chrome.  For example, after a recent restart, I went to change the screen resolution and it inverted my screen.  When I changed it back, I got horizontal multicolor lines across the screen.  At this point, I am close to just replacing the graphics card.  

But before I do that, would anybody be able to verify that this is almost certainly a gpu problem?  The only other thing I think it could possible be is the mobo.  So, before I upgrade the video card, I'd like to verify that it is certainly the problem. 

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users