Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro install issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 honker

honker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hello everyone, I recently installed a new harddrive and and trying to put xp pro on it but after the files are loadede and configured the puter goes to restart but only goes black. I contacted dell ( I have an optiplex280 with 1 gig ram ) I was told to make sure the bios was set to default and it was, and and a secon tech told me I could never install xp.or any other os into it because my system is outdated. I am inclined to believe him because he didn't try to sell me anything but this doesn't sound accurate to me. I called a local repair shop who said for me to get an oem xp disk because the one I have might have stuff on it that was specific to a particular computer.....any help you guys can give me would be more than appreciated...thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

Hello and Welcome,

Can you access Safe Mode by tapping F8?

I have seen a lot of Dells that originally had XP installed but after replacing a hard drive could not install XP. It may be because the computer has SATA drives and XP does not have native SATA drivers. Does the computer have SATA or IDE drives?

Download Hirens Boot disk here. Burn the iso and boot. Select MiniXP. At the Desktop select HBCD and then System Tools. Run CPUz. Under the Motherboard tab what is the Chipset and Southbridge listed as? Hopefully not 82801EB. 

Edit: Add Hirens link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 September 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Dells are OEM systems...with restore/recovery partitions used as the means of reinstalling the native O/S.

So...I'm curious as just what you did in your attempt to reinstall XP on a hard drive that, unless cloned, did not possess that recovery partition.

Without that partition, chances are any install effort will require either a recovery disk issued by Dell...or a Genuine XP CD, which should be almost extinct as a species (except for users who either built their own systems or purchases those CDs when they were readily available.

Louis

#4 honker

honker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

Accessing safe mode in not an issue at all....it is a SATA....as for what I did to install xp....I put the disk in, ran it from cd, and it loaded the files and configured them and says it will restart to complete installation...then it just goes black....I didn't create a partition or anything....just installed it on the existing after formatting

#5 honker

honker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

I'll run the the iso and let you know what they are

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

If you can use Safe Mode you don't need to download Hirens. Do you you see any errors in Event Viewer in Safe Mode that would give an idea on the problem? There should be a service tag on the side of the computer. Using that go to Dell's support site and see if you can install the Chipset drivers in Safe Mode. I would also update your graphics driver.

You should be able to access a diagnostic menu using F12 at boot. That may also give a clue. 

#7 honker

honker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

The chipset is intel 915 express and the south bridge is 82801FB

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

See this Dell thread on the 82801FB. Is your BIOS set to Raid/Autodetect? I am surprised you were able to install XP SP3 on the computer as SATA AHCI is not native in the SP3 install disk. It's possible safe mode is using IDE but when booting to normal mode it's looking for the AHCI driver but I am not sure.

You can see this page on installing AHCI after install but it can be problematic.

Here is the AHCI drivers for the 915 chipset. Unfortunately you need a floppy drive to extract the files as it is a img file. I can look through it and see if the inf file has the 82801FB if you wish. If that chipset is included I can upload the extracted files to Dropbox but you would need to slipstream them into the SP3 install disk using nlite.

I have no idea but it seems that Dells are having a huge number of problems doing clean installs with XP when the MB is using SATA.

#9 advancedtechco

advancedtechco

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:22 AM

I had this issue and observed the issue to be to do with the sata configeration in the bios, I transformed it from ACHI to IDE and it worked after that.

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:40 PM

Ditto, same reply as advancedtechco, here.  I did two fresh installs of XP Pro on Dells, but they weren't (GX?)280's, which I'm presuming you mean, here.  When I tried to do the same thing as you did on my similarly-aged Dimension, it did err, and back in those days there were no recovery partitions (generally the XP machines didn't have them).  But it's certainly not too old for XP.  SP3 was issued in 2002.  So you might want to update drivers, BIOS, chipset (many updates through 2011, in that link).  Then see what happens.

When mine failed, though, it wasn't due to the drivers.  It was due to the fact that XP was already on the machine, and wasn't the same version.  So I would have had to wipe the machine and then do a bare-metal install, to change the XP version.  I wasn't willing to do that.  Sadly, I failed to tell my computer gurus and they wiped the machine clean and did a bare-metal but no product key on the new one.  :bubbles:  (Good news was, that's how I first learned Linux via GParted, so could recover stuff on my machine.)

I did installs later, on Dell Latitude 6510 (year 2010, i5 first gen) and 6530 (year 2012 i5 third gen).  It wouldn't run at all until I changed BIOS to ATA (which is the same as IDE, in later Dells).  But I kinda knew that going in.  The only two install problems I had were that one and the need to install Net Framework 3.5 on the newer Dell (because it used Intel HD graphics).

But my Optiplex 780 (Core 2 Duo) ran the XP install so well, it wiped out my prior Win7 and I had to clone back (I expected it to detect Win7 and do a dual boot, but it didn't).  NO issues there, even though the default in BIOS there was RAID 0.

Edited by brainout, 16 September 2015 - 10:50 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users