Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Geforce GT 540M Graphics Card causing crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tactical Sledgehamme

Tactical Sledgehamme

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

So about 4-5 days ago, I noticed that I was getting terrible framerates all of a sudden on my games.  I looked into it, and through my Device Manager saw that my Nvidia Graphics card was disabled, with the message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)", so I was only using my crappy default Intel Card.  Whenever I try to re enable my Nvidia Card, I get bluescreened either instantly or within a couple minutes, with a message about my graphics drivers trying to recover from timeout and failing.  I have the latest drivers and did a clean install yesterday, neither have helped.  My computer can function, but I can't play or do anything even a bit graphics-intensive without getting terrible fps.  I saw that Windows installed one of their automatic updates around the same time I started having this issue, not sure if that has something to do with it. 

I used to get crashes occasionally due to overheating, but I started underclocking my computer, and that hasn't been a problem for the last 3-4 months.  

Running Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 15.

When I start the computer up again, these are the details I'm given by Windows:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 116
  BCP1: FFFFFA8011D15010
  BCP2: FFFFF8800CDF5EF0
  BCP3: 0000000000000000
  BCP4: 0000000000000002
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 768_1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Try using the graphics card in Safe Mode to see if this problem persists.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver, so if there is a problem with your Nvidia driver it should work in Safe Mode.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver, download a new one and install it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Tactical Sledgehamme

Tactical Sledgehamme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

I think that did it.  I went into Safe Mode, disabled the Intel driver so it was forced to use the Nvidia one, and it didn't crash (when I do that normally, it crashes pretty quickly).  However, after this problem started, one of the first things I did was download the newest drivers and selected the "clean install" option, and that didn't change anything.  

#4 Tactical Sledgehamme

Tactical Sledgehamme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

bump

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:06 AM

In post #3 you wrote "I think that did it".  This to me indicates that you have resolved this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Tactical Sledgehamme

Tactical Sledgehamme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

Sorry, that's my bad.  I meant that going into Safe Mode seemed to prevent the crash.  However, even after a clean install of the newest Nvidia drivers, it crashes instantly in normal mode.  

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

Did you uninstall the NVIDIA graphics driver before installing the new driver?

#8 Tactical Sledgehamme

Tactical Sledgehamme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

I selected the advanced install "clean install" option.  Does that do the uninstallation first, or do I need to do it manually?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

You need to uninstall the driver first.  Then restart the computer.

Edited by dc3, 25 September 2015 - 12:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users