Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VERY first gaming pc Build! Advice on build list needed!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Entrisen

Entrisen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hello all! I'm building my first pc ever, and I need advice badly. I have just enough money now saved for my budget (2500) And my build is nearly right up to 2500. So I have the parts picked out have spent months researching it, I definitely would like someones opinion on what they think, before i actually buy them. I want to get it right. Keep in mind, I don't want to overclock yet, someday i might though so i gave my self the option, and i picked out a 1080p 60hz monitor which makes my gpu overkill, but thats okay because I want to play all games maxed out 60fps for a while, and eventually will upgrade to 1440p. So! Here's my full build, let me know what you think!

CPU- i7-4790k MOBO- Asus Maximus Hero VII GPU- MSI GTX 980ti 6GB RAM- G-skill Ripjaws 16gb (8x8) 1600 SSD- Samsung PRO 512GB HDD- WD BLACK 1TB CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe PSU- EVGA 850w Gold Fully modular ATX LG Optical drive windows 10 64 bit Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor

Thanks for any tips! Anything I should add or change? Am buying next week so would appreciate any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheLaughingITMann

TheLaughingITMann

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

I would say the i7 is likely overkill. If you want great performance for the money, go for a high end i5 over a high end i7. I would recommend going for either the Maximus Hero VII or a Sabertooth mobo for a little less. The 980Ti 6GB card is a card for the lifetime of the machine, but if you want a second opinion go for an ASUS Strix GTX 970 4GB card for a little less. As for RAM, I would change out for Crucial for quality and reliability, especially the Ballistix Tactical. The Samsung Pro 512GB SSD with a WD Black 1TB is good, but if you can get a Black 2TB for a little more, then do that if you're going to dump a ton of recent titles onto it (they eat us anywhere from 5-30GB mostly; GTAV needs like 50-60GB, I think, while Witcher 3 needs about 15-20GB). For case, Corsair is also a good investment for a full size (I know the 230T is a great mid size tower case; if they have anything bigger, consider those); the Phanteks case looks good, though. The PSU is also one for the long haul, but if you need an alternate, go for a Corsair 80 Plus Gold of a similar wattage. For optical, a regular DVD drive is good for occasional use; if you want Blu-Ray, though...for OS, Win 10 64-Bit is better than anything Windows 8...the monitor looks good, but I don't think it's going to be overkill for your GPU.

If you want any advice for miscellaneous stuff, buy a copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for your PC for anti-malware solution. For anti-virus, Windows Defender will be in the OS, but can always go to something like Avira or Avast Free AV for a bit more strength. If you need Microsoft Office, buy least Home and Student 2013 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote). 

#3 Entrisen

Entrisen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

I would say the i7 is likely overkill. If you want great performance for the money, go for a high end i5 over a high end i7. I would recommend going for either the Maximus Hero VII or a Sabertooth mobo for a little less. The 980Ti 6GB card is a card for the lifetime of the machine, but if you want a second opinion go for an ASUS Strix GTX 970 4GB card for a little less. As for RAM, I would change out for Crucial for quality and reliability, especially the Ballistix Tactical. The Samsung Pro 512GB SSD with a WD Black 1TB is good, but if you can get a Black 2TB for a little more, then do that if you're going to dump a ton of recent titles onto it (they eat us anywhere from 5-30GB mostly; GTAV needs like 50-60GB, I think, while Witcher 3 needs about 15-20GB). For case, Corsair is also a good investment for a full size (I know the 230T is a great mid size tower case; if they have anything bigger, consider those); the Phanteks case looks good, though. The PSU is also one for the long haul, but if you need an alternate, go for a Corsair 80 Plus Gold of a similar wattage. For optical, a regular DVD drive is good for occasional use; if you want Blu-Ray, though...for OS, Win 10 64-Bit is better than anything Windows 8...the monitor looks good, but I don't think it's going to be overkill for your GPU.

If you want any advice for miscellaneous stuff, buy a copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for your PC for anti-malware solution. For anti-virus, Windows Defender will be in the OS, but can always go to something like Avira or Avast Free AV for a bit more strength. If you need Microsoft Office, buy least Home and Student 2013 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote). 

Amazing advice, thank you very much. Am looking into the crucial RAM instead and that definitely looks like the better option. Also, what is your opinion on using the SSD for the OS and for my games? (steam) I really want to put my Steam account on my SSD for my games like skyrim and GTA IV and such. But i'm not sure if 512 gb is enough for that, though, will I be able to send some to my HDD while i dont need them on my SSD? Does it work that way? 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

512GB should be fine for OS and games for a while, depending on the number of games you install at once.  The main thing is to move your Libraries to your hard drive as music, photos, and videos can take up quite a bit of space, depending on their format and how many you have.

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

If you move things around and save a bit of money as Kilroy has suggested, I would consider going with a 1TB SSD. You can grab them for about $350 right now.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#6 Entrisen

Entrisen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

If you move things around and save a bit of money as Kilroy has suggested, I would consider going with a 1TB SSD. You can grab them for about $350 right now.

Would you suggest I get the EVO or PRO? Does it make that much of a difference? If I got a 1TB The only thing is I would cut out the HDD and just go for the 1TB SSD instead because of costing, playing around with the prices and all, thats how I would see it working. Is that wise? 

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Yeah I would just switch out the regular spinning HDD for the 1TB SSD. I Would go with the evo, looks to be $100 cheaper.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#8 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:07 AM

Looks great to me. I have a 480 gig for my games and a 360 gig for my operating system and a 250gig for itunes and all my music.I like to keep organized and i find for me 480gig is enough for my games.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD,2 NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users