Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SSD Fail, Emergency Boot Plans (Need Some Advice)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CarbonBat

CarbonBat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

About a year ago I purchased a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SSD (MKNSSDCR120GB-7) to use as a boot drive, which worked perfectly for about 6 months when the drive failed. RMA'd, got a new drive, same setup for about 3 months until this drive followed in suit, failed entirely two days ago. RMA'd again, but now I'm extremely iffy about the drives, and want to have an emergency plan in case my next drive fails.

So, in return, I ordered a 1TB Seagate HDD. I plan to use it as my secondary main drive, but here is the catch, I was wondering how practical it would be to partition out a section of this drive to throw a secondary boot on it to use if the SSD boot would fail again.

If this is practical, would I be able to basically have a clone of the main boot in a sense that it would recognize all of the installed programs correctly, etc?

Any and all ideas are extremely helpful, thank you for your help in advance! 

List of system specifications: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=VxGWgSYv

PS: Yes, it's sad I have to prepare for my Mushkin to fail again, be careful if you plan to order from this company!

Edited by CarbonBat, 12 September 2015 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

After a second failure from this company's product I would be talking to them about a refund.  One failure can happen, it happens with all of these manufacturers.  But two in a row... that's a strong indication that they have a problem with their product.

I just did a quick Google on this product and it looks like this model has had enough early failures that it is gaining a bad reputation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

You may want your cloned working backup hard drive disconnected or as a spare hdd from your computer and kept in storage.  The 1 TB secondary drive could be used for data storage and image backups.The cloning function is reliable if you only favor of restoring the current state of operating system, currently installed updates, drivers and softwares installed at the time you've used this function. See also if imaging is more of an advantage in your situation. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2847308/when-to-image-a-drive-and-when-to-clone-it.html

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users