Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recently I upgraded to Windows 10 and then decided to go back to Windows 7.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Les Couchi

Les Couchi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

Recently I installed the Windows 10 update.  I then asked a technician to restore Windows 7.  After completing the process he claimed the harddrive had "bad sectors" and lost all the personal files for 2015.  It was strange that what he recovered matched what was on the back-up in the computer and my external harddrive.  Does this make any sense?  As a photographer over 10,000 photos were lost!

Edited by Les Couchi, 12 September 2015 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

Well...I would ask these questions of "the technician"...so that I could understand just what steps were taken and why.

And...how is it that "the technician" made a "recovery" that doesn't include data files on the system?

If a clean install took place to install Win 7 anew...or a restore-to-factory-defaults...then it's possible that they desired files were overwritten by "the technician".

There is data-recovery software that any user can try...but before I tried such, I would want to know a lot more than you have posted here.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Les Couchi

Les Couchi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

Not sure if this what you mean in terms of the system manufacturer:   Coolmaster made to specs, 64 bit OS, 16.0 GB Intel ® Core ™ i7-3770K CPU@ 3.50 GB  7.1 Windows Experience

As far as I now he had to uninstall the Windows 10 and then reinstall Windows 7.  I don't think there was a factory default done.  Should he have not saved the personal files before cleaning the Windows 10 out of the computer?

Edited by Les Couchi, 12 September 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

As far as I now he had to uninstall the Windows 10 and then reinstall Windows 7.  I don't think there was a factory default done.  Should he have not saved the personal files before cleaning the Windows 10 out of the computer?

Did you request such?

In my early days of owning a computer...I took my system to the shop whenever anything happened (because I was afraid that I didn't know how to do anything, including reinstalling Windows)...but I always had them call me before they did any work...to tell me what was being done and why.

I would not take it for granted that a backup of anything was made, if you did not request such.  Another question for you to ask your technician.

Louis

#5 Les Couchi

Les Couchi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

I had clearly asked him twice if there would be a problem with the personal files and on both questions he replied that they was nothing to worry about.  He had done this hundreds of times.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

Well...HE may not think think there is a problem...but you seem to think that there is.

I really don't what to suggest.

Louis

#7 Les Couchi

Les Couchi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the input Louis.   I guess it boils down to if a technician does his job right, should he lose the personal documents on a re-install.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

i don't know about technicians or iT persohnel...but i do occasional work on the systems belonging to friends.

Step One is to either clone the hard drive or make a backup...before i start playing around.  That makes sense to me.

Louis

#9 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

Backups also make sure that you have all your files intact and ready to go when you re-install Windows. Also when you re-install Windows 7 there will be an ad that pops up for Windows 10 I would highly recommend removing the ad, because Microsoft is trying to install it without users permission onto everyone's machines. I could happily help you disable that notification for you so that in the future the ad will not pop up. Here are the steps:

1. Click the Windows Icon and there will be a little search bar, type in cmd, right click it and click "Run As Administrator" there you will have to type: wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart This will uninstall the Windows 10 ad for you I think you will need to restart your computer for this to take effect.

#10 Les Couchi

Les Couchi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:32 AM

CodeSmasha:  Thanks for helping me get rid of that annoying reminder.  Have a great day.

#11 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:53 AM

Hi Les Couchi,and Welcome,

On a side note, Windows 10 has a down grade available for 1 month. that will restore your system to its original Windows(7,8,8.1 etc)

So there is no need for a reinstall. I am not sure what your "tech" did,

Good luck

Hedge 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users