Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update KB3086255

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marcel85

Marcel85

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590002/windows-7-security-updates/ -- Hamluis.

Not sure if anyone can help but I have a problem with software that only started once the latest Win7 security updates were installed recently...the update window says they were installed on 10 Sept 15.  I have had the game Civ III Conquests on my computer for years now with windows 7 with no issues at all.  Tried to open it last night and it is inoperable now.  No other changes were made in weeks except the Windows 7 security and office updates.  I tried to find a Civ III forum about this and none had recent issues.  Thought someone might know what changes could have been made to Win7 that would effect it.

At first it had a Windows message that came up that said I needed administrator rights open it.  As I have them and I am the only user it did not make sense, so I right clicked the file and tried to open with administrator rights.  It had the UAC message with "unknown publisher" listed.  No luck starting.  I then went into the properties of the application and viewed the rights for each user (me and me as administrator) and changed them to all full rights.  I also went to the compatibility tab and tried various combinations of run program as administrator and tried compatibility mode variations.  No joy.

I then went to the "allow programs to communicate through the firewall" page of control panel to ensure that Civ III and Civ III conquests was listed.  They were.  I uninstalled both programs and reinstalled them and all patches.  No joy.  

I also tried to go to the DEP page under Performance options and added the programs as exceptions.  No joy.

There were various "fixes" that folks in the Civ III forums had for making it work in Windows 7 and even though I never had had a problem, I tied the different install techniques they mentioned (e.g. making an install folder not under the program files).  I have installed and uninstalled at least 4 times.

Currently when I try to open it, it has the UAC warning of unknown publisher come up, I say "yes" I want to run it, then it looks like it wants to open, screen goes black like it normally does, but it all of a sudden stops and returns to the desk top. 

I have also tried to use system restore (2 weeks and 1 month ago restore points) and it failed due to some file being missing.  I did not write it down unfortunately.

Again, these programs worked fine 2 days ago and then stopped suddenly.  Only thing that changed was the multitude of Windows 7 updates.  I have found no other programs with issues.

Appreciate any assistance.

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2015 - 12:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GValiente

GValiente

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

Marcel85:  Did you install any of the updates included in MS15-097? In the known issues section it states that "some video games may not run properly after you install this update."  You may want to look into this.  Hope this helps.

#3 Marcel85

Marcel85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

Marcel85:  Did you install any of the updates included in MS15-097? In the known issues section it states that "some video games may not run properly after you install this update."  You may want to look into this.  Hope this helps.

I unfortunately had it on auto install.  Very late last night I finally found someone else who had the problem and they said Update KB3086255 was the culprit.  I uninstalled and voila, all works fine again.

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

#5 rmczar

rmczar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

I had the same issue with MOHAA after the KB3086255 update. Fix it the same way by uninstalling the update. With auto updates enabled it just reinstalls. So I had to disable auto update. I'm not sure this is the best solution, does anyone know a way to just block KB3086255 from installing and let the other updates install?

Thanks

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

Hi rmczar, and welcome,

In an ideal world you should really start your own topic, but not to worry.

When you see the update again, right click on it and select hide

Job done  good luck

Hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users