Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 0xc000005 problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stridernje

stridernje

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

I wonder if anyone can help. Today I had to resubscribe to avast antivirus as the protection duration had run out, Whilst doing so I thought I would download some of the extras such as registry clean up. Once everything had installed and was up to date I decided to run the registry clean up. Also at the time I was downloading the latest version of windows explorer. At some point both programs required a restart of the computer. As they were both requesting a restart I did exactly that. Once I was back to the windows desktop I started to get error messages for each of the programs that would normally startup. Now I cant execute any program on my computer. I am currently using my laptop to investigate a solution.

I have access to all my folders / files so am able to back everything up. I just cant run anything.

I have tried restore point and this isn't working.

I have run FRST64 and recorded the output file if that is any use to anyone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Strider

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

FRST is a tool used for malware...why did you run that?  Please do NOT post any FRST logs in this forum, it is not allowed.

Registry cleaners are NOT recommended items for any version of Windows...because of the potential for creating problems where none previously existed.

What do mean..." just can run anything"...you mean that nothing works?  If nothing works, then how do you intend to back up the existing install?  If you think that you may have a malwaare situation...why would you want to back that up without attempting removal of the malware?

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Registry Cleaners, QMan - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516416/is-this-a-virus-hijack-this-caught-it-3-times-and-i-cannot-remove-it/

Have you tried to boot into safe mode?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#3 stridernje

stridernje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thank you for responding,

I ran FRST because whilst reading various posts to help fix the solution I found a post in these forums that related to it. I thought it would help solve the situation.

Cant run anything = No executable program will work ,example, Avast, Chrome, AutoCAD, word etc.  I have access to desktop and can open folders, copy files etc.

As it was a registry cleaning from Avast I didn't think it would be harmful.

I am not sure if I have malware or if the registry is corrupted.

i can boot in safe mode. not sure what to do when in safe mode though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

I would boot into safe mode...then see if I can run the chkdsk /r command., GUI mode.  See GUI Mode at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/ and be sure to put checks in both Scan For and Automatically Fix options.  Do the chkdsk /r on the C: partition.

Try to boot normally.

If unable to boot normally and things still are awry...repeat the chkdsk / in GUI mode while in safe mode.

I'd run the sfc /scannow command, if normalcy returns.

Louis

#5 stridernje

stridernje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the response but it seems to have resolved itself.

This is what i did. I inserted the windows 7 installation disk and selected the repair option. from there I tried several restore points. Each time I chose one I got a message saying that the computer could not restore due to a corrupted file. So in the end I gave up, exited the repair process and restarted the computer via the menu options. The computer booted as normal and then at the desktop all my start up programs loaded OK. All seems to be working fine now, I guess one of the restore points must have worked. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

I would suggest that you run sfc /scannow to see if there is any file corruption.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users