Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a back up to thumb drive of win 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

I am looking at making a back up of win 10 on here. I see there are anumber of different ways.

On this Hp they have their own media creation tool but it says I can make only one.

Is there also a limit to the windows creation tool?

Should I use something else or even make it yet, or wait until a few more updates are released?

Not shure any HP knowledge would be found here or not, but thought I would ask.

I would like couple of back ups on hand. I tend to look under the hood a little too much. LOL

Thanks in advance you guys been invaluable so far and I really hate bothering yall so much.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hi again danny :)

What are you trying to do exactly? Creating a system image of your current Windows 10 and putting it on your USB Flash Drive?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

Yes that is it,later I will also create a bootable version and a iso or do I need to make that all ready?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

If you want to create a System Image of your system, I suggest you to use Macrium Reflect Free instead.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

As for creating a bootable .iso, all you need is the Windows 10 .iso, a USB and RUFUS using the right settings.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

That looks good. Now If  canI just get this thing to redirct downloads or files to a different place.

Don't know if it is me, this almost a pc, the OS or just failing memory LOL

I just know I nned to find some way to make off site storage since I have no cd/dvd rom every thing needs to be usb.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

Do you want to create a redirection on the Downloads folder? I can tell you how to, it's easy.

unite_blue.png

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

I think I need mostly getting from the download folder to the usb alltho some stuff I think I will have to unpack/unzip first and then save or move to the thumb drive. Like that wscc zip files and some other goodies you have pointed me too.

I am considering a usb hdd or usb dvd rom, but all I have for now are some thumb drives. Vayreous sizes, most have some old data I need to remove.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

You mean, an external hard drive (portable one)? It's a good investment. You should be good with a 500GB or 1TB one and they are rather cheap now a day.

unite_blue.png

#9 Randem

Randem

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:46 AM

Just create the USB backup drive. Go to Cortana and type Recovery

You should now see a selection Backup your recovery key

This is the one to use to create a USB Recovery image.

People who don't know what they are talking about will provide arguments instead of any valid proof to their claims...

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

dannyboy950:

As well as making that macrum system image you might want to make a windows system image also, that way you can have both types should one of them ever fail. Windows has a built in tool for making images, here is how to use it http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual on windows 8.1 the image making function is to be found under "file history", I'm not sure precisely where it is on windows 10 but it will be there somewhere. You'll also need to make a recovery USB*, just-in-case you have a crash so bad that you can't even get to the windows recovery environment, such a USB will get you to the recovery environment, afetr which you can use your the system image made with windows' internal tool. Your macrium system image will need it's own version of a recovery drive/disk, the options to do this are contained within macrium. Have your macrium image on a seprate external device to your windows image, the macrium one will probably be slightly smaller than the windows one, it might fit on a 64gb USB if you are lucky, the windows one will refuse to be written to a "removable disk" and will only acccept being written to a "local disk", so unless you're lucky enough to find a USB that calls itself "local" rather than "removable" you'll need an external HDD instead.

*I think this is what randem is taling about, but as far as I can tell what he is suggesting ONLY makes the recovery usb, you'll need a system image as well which will have to be made via the functions in control panel. And ofcourse you'll also need that macrium image and it's recovery disc/usb, made with macrium.

Edited by rp88, 03 October 2015 - 02:57 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

I also want to create a USB Recovery Drive but so far have been unable to do so. When I click on the button to create a drive I get a message saying 'we cannot create the drive now'. No explanation of why, no pointers to what can be done about it. I have run the scans SFC and DSIM and errors have been repaired but this has not solved the problem, I still get the message that we cannot create the drive.

I have a suitable USB drive installed. It was used for the 8.1 Recovery Drive. When I do get the Drive creation function working will it automatically delete these files or should I format the drive first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users