Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange behaviour of Combofix on Windows 8.1 operating system

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 catt961

catt961

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

Does anybody know why this happens?

Not possible to install ComboFix 15.9.7.1 on Windows 8.1

Error message says that Windows 2000 is not supported!!!

Thanks in advance.

I've tried to add a screeshot but I'm new on this forum and it seems not allowed.

Edited by catt961, 12 September 2015 - 08:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hi there,

As of now ComboFix does not support Windows 8.1 and 10 (see here) and it is unlikely that the author will support them as there are other tools currently in use.

If you suspect an infection, please post in Am I Infected? What do I do? or follow these instructions and post the logs in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

System requirements for ComboFix are clearly provided in the Authorized How to guide, on the authorized download page, and in the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here topic.

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:
Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit)

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 2000 are NOT supported by ComboFix.
If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 2000 it should provide a message alert and exit. These are generic messages and intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on an unsupported Windows version.

W2k_not_supported.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 catt961

catt961
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for your exhaustive answers, may I ask you a suggestion on which program can substitute Combofix (at least with the same optimum peformances) running on Window 8.1 / 10?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

Other advanced tools such as FRST are being used by malware removal experts but it cannot be used in this forum.

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide.

If you choose to follow the above instructions and post a FRST log, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one. If not, at least you know doing that is an option available to you.

#6 catt961

catt961
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

Other advanced tools such as FRST are being used by malware removal experts but it cannot be used in this forum.

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide.

If you choose to follow the above instructions and post a FRST log, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one. If not, at least you know doing that is an option available to you.

Ok, many thanks for the useful information,  my pc is not really infected or doesn't show severe sympthoms but I found out that running once a month Adware Cleaner + Combofix helps a lot to speed up operations :-)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

FYI...ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware, AdwCleaner or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives, different folders, the registry, etc on a computer for malware. There are risks involved and we recommend that people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem.

#8 catt961

catt961
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:02 AM

FYI...ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware, AdwCleaner or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives, different folders, the registry, etc on a computer for malware. There are risks involved and we recommend that people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem.

Now I know it..........but believe me I've used it several and several times on different pc's without having problems (maybe I was only lucky) and I was very satisfied how it worked.

But as all good things in life there must be an end..........many thanks, ciao.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,132 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

You're welcome.