Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winrar Using 100% Cpu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

hi guys, lately ive been having poblems with using winrar. when i use it its using 100% CPU usage. is this normal? i also get blue screen of death too if the file i want to rar is about 500mb or more. i got a AMD 3200 + with 3gb RAM which is more than enough id of thought to do this.
anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Cheers
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

Do you have much memory? Shrinking files that are so large uses a lot of resources. It's not abnormal to use 100% of the processor during the shrink, but not, of course, by just opening the program.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

I do not think it is a problem with memory at 3 Gb. I think the answer to this is the size of the files to be archived. I know there are size limits to any archiving program and this is something that should be looked into. The larger the file the more likely for a crash. There could be 100 Gb of Ram and it would not make a difference.

Edited by ThorXP, 16 July 2006 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users