Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem connectin 98SE comp to XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 onesikgypo

onesikgypo

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:29 PM

alright were havin a little problem first let me tell you about the two computers:

Computer A: Windows XP Home Edition
Has the Cable modem connected to it
Has the router connected to it
512mb ram

Computer B: Windows 98SE
Being Wirelessly connected to the xp computer

Ok well i know i have my network set up because a) i went through the XP computer, and :thumbsup: The 98SE computer is getting an internet connection and finally C) because the XP can connect to the 98SE but not visa versa

Now every time im on the 98SE computer and i try to connect to the XP comp i get this "Resource: \\MAIN\IPC$" Then its askin for a password, ive tried every single password ive known it wotn connect, i have even made an account exactly the same as the 98SE computer on the XP computer. IE (this is true) The windows 98SE computer has a username of Default and password - nothing. So i went to the XP connection, i made an account named Default and in the password field put nothing. I dont know what else to do ive tried everything plz help soon!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:34 PM

Is the XP file system fat 32 or ntfs? If the XP computer is ntfs the 98 computer (fat 32) won't be able to access the files. NTFS can read and access Fat32 files but not the other way around.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users