Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS is withholding Win7 updates, to get me to install Win10!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

Hi Guy's

I have a bit of a dilemma, initially I wanted and intended giving Win10 a try, after all it is free. However I thought I would install it on my new/refurbished laptop first, putting it through it's paces where it could do no harm. Rather than putting it on my main desktop PC.

MS ran the obligatory test on my lappy and said everything was fine for the Win10 install. I went ahead, 45 minutes later and it transpired everything was not how it should be...Error Found - C1900101-4000D.

I checked the Internet and it would seem that I was far from alone in this matter. The fact that the problem apparently lies with Microsoft's own updates doesn't exactly fill me with joy or confidence in their products. Especially as they had tested my lappy and told me everything was OK to go ahead with the install!?

However, further to this and much worse (from my perspective) In the meantime MS went ahead and downloaded Win10 on my Win7. Not a problem, I thought as long as I just keep on extending the installation start. Which, every three days I've been doing exactly that.

Everything was fine, untill yesterday when I switched my PC on and was confronted with a splash screen from MS. Telling me to restart my PC, so that Win10 could finish installing?!

Then I found out from 'SECUNIA'  that MS were not offering me Win7 updates any more, those being...

Microsoft.Net framework 2.x (64bit)

Microsoft.Net framework 2.x

Microsoft.Net framework 3.x

Microsoft.Net framework 4.x

In fact no updates were forthcoming, accept for Win10, which I hadn't knowingly initiated.

My question for you is...

Q - When MS downloads Win10 to your PC where does it put it and what is it called?

My intentions is to either (if possible) uninstall it or at the very least delete it. No one is going to tell me me what I have to install on my PC, especially not by withholding other updates!!! 

Edited by Graphicool1, 12 September 2015 - 03:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:23 AM

The file you are looking for is $WINDOWS.~BT  

Use Disk Cleanup to delete it

Instructions HERE   

The file is approx 3 - 3.5 GB....approx !!

Links to read :;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589964/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-installer-could-be-on-your-pc-whether-you-want-it-or-not/

Edited by Condobloke, 12 September 2015 - 05:24 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

Hi Condobloke

Thanx for this..."$WINDOWS.~BT"...after posting this thread I turned my PC off. After lunch I turned my PC back on. What do you know, no nag screen telling me to restart the PC, so Win10 could finish installing.

However, I was just looking at your link for...'Disk Cleanup'. When an MS splash Screen popped up asking me if I wanted to re-schedual the Win10 installation, so I did. Curiouser and curiouser, it was almost as if they new I was looking into ways of deleting Win10?!

Still, for now, as long as they 'continue' to play nice, I'm prepared to keep the programme on my PC and wait till the hype and problems have all died or gone away. Then I might just be able to instal it on my lappy. After all I have until July 2016 before I have to decide for sure one way or another.

Such is Life 

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

G'day again Graphicool1....If you are "prompted" in that way to to restart and install WIn 10, Please let me know.

I will keep this topic on my Watch List, so if you ever post again I will see it.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:21 AM

Hi Condobloke

Thanks for your support and continuing interest in this matter. When I switched on this morning, I received another new prompt, although this time it wasn't as aggresive, it seems they are back peddling a bit now. Perhaps they've noticed the bad publicity. It was a popup...

"Introducing Windows 10

Microsoft recommends upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE"

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

Thanks for that.

I am re posting some of this topic, HERE

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

Graphicool1:

Do you have any system images, or other means of restoring your system to an earlier state, before all this began, I did ask this same question of you in another thread where you mentioned this problem but thoght I should try asking here also. Do you have for example:
installation discs? manufacturers recovery media?
system images of your own?
system images made by the manufacturer and placed on a partition of the HDD?
system recovery discs or USB sticks of any kind?

Before taking any such action make sure to back up your files, and depending on how old the system image is you might need to have the installer exe files for your programs ready on external media(if you're using manufacturers media rather thna your own system image you'll definitely need to reinstall all your programs afterwards, and put settings as you like them the way you had to when the machine was new, if you have the installer exe files for programs lying around anywhere (perhaps in your downloads folder) copying them to a cd/dvd/usb would be helpful for making the reinstallation of these programs a quicker and easier task), so you can quickly and easily reinstsll any programs you use that weren't on the machine when the image was made.

As another option you could consider using system trestore to try and "rewind the clock" to before all this began, I would guess it began when KB3035583 was first installed, or with the initial installtion of another gws related update some motnhs back, but this might be less effective, you might not have any old enough restore points still stored and sometimes sytem restore will fail, while system images generally work very well.

If you do have any types of recovery media or system images I can give you advice on how to use them and what you must do immediately after using them (before you even connect the computer to the internet there are certain things you probably ought to do, including but not limited to making yourself an extra system image if you used a aystem image to go back, or making yourself a few system images if you went back by other means).

Edited by rp88, 14 September 2015 - 12:53 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:03 AM

Hi rp88

As of your 'above' thoughts and suggestions both here and on...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589964/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case/page-3#entry3818499

"Graphicool1 post #22

Do you have any system images, if so you could go back to before all this trouble began, put your updates on "check automatically but ask me whether to download and install" and then just install security ones. You couod make sure the gwx related updates never reach your machine and I would expect that without them you might still be able to get your security updates to work. You could also try uninstalling all the gwx related updates (KB3035583, KB3044374 and others) but this might leave remnants, and sometimes some of them won't uninstall at all."

Yes I do, however, because of my obsessive craving's for free software and my lack of honouring my good intentions, my system images can't keep up!. Therefore I would only be prepared to use the latest (old) image in an emergency. But as yet I'm not perplexed enough to take such measures as I feel that my losses would have a greater effect on me than my gain!

But thanx for your suggestion anyway.

#9 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:26 AM

Here we go again, I just switched my PC on and...

"There are updates available."

So I click 'Show Updates'...

"Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready

You need to restart your PC to begin the installation. This might take a while,
but we'll let you know when it's done.  Restart Now"

#10 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

I had a similar problem. I started downloading Win 10 and then thought better of it and cancelled the download. From then on I could no longer download Win 7 updates. Whenever I tried, the Win 10 download started all over again and I had to keep cancelling and rebooting. No help there so I picked a restore date a few days prior and rebooted. After that I was able to download Win 7 updates as usual. I still have the icon on the task bar and an occasional pop-up reminder but that's OK for now as I might still install Win 10 at some future date.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Post #8, Given your love of downloading new software you seem to indicate, I suggest that in future when you download a program keep the installer exe file in your downloads folder, and if after a while of using the program you find yourself to really like it, make sure to backup that installer exe file onto external media. That way if you ever need to restore to an image made before the program in question was installed you can just copy the backed up file from the external media onto the computer afterwards and run th file to install, no need to spend ages hunting across the internet to find the download page again. Also really helpful if the program in question is discontinued and no longer available online, you have the installer so can still install it after reimaging.

At present have you been keeping the installer exe files in your downloads folder, if so all you need to do is copy them to USB/cd/dvd, do the reimaging and then reinstall the programs from thoe exe files. If not, I can see your difficulties.

Good thing you have the images you have though, I expect you will need to use them sooner or later. I suspect they might be your best way out of this, when you feel the time is right.

P.S. system restore isn't in my experience very reliable, but if it works for you it can* revert changes to the system files of the OS without uninstalling programs installed since the restore point.

*If my memory serves me correctly, I think this is the case bit I advise you to check for certain first.

Edited by rp88, 16 September 2015 - 12:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

New Optional Update to Win7 (32-bit) showing up which is Win10-related, in disguise:  2999226

Edited by brainout, 17 September 2015 - 02:23 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#13 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

rp88

"keep the installer exe file in your downloads folder"

Actually I already and always have done this. However, this won't help if the free programme was a one day only giveaway. Where they stipulate that you have to download and install it on that day only and accept that there'll be 'NO' updates.

"system restore isn't in my experience very reliable"

It isn't always for me either. That's why last time I created a 'system image' as well and some of that freeware I was talking about also includes...

AOMEI Backup

Back Up 4 All

EaseUs Todo Backup Home 6.5

FarStone One Total Backup Recovery

When I was using W7 Home 32 bit, I used use a little free programme. Which might have been something to do with the Cloud. Anything I installed in it, didn't impact on my PC at all and as such the programme was portable and I could run any software, on any PC from it? Sadly I can no longer remember what it was called. A lot of freeware was installed on there, at that time, perhaps I still have it on one of my disconnected external HD's. I'll have to have a look.

Edited by Graphicool1, 17 September 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#14 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:30 AM

Brainout

My PC is W7 Pro SP1 64 bit

#15 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:43 AM

Because, for weeks now, I have been having MS constantly and consistently harrowing me to install W10; I decided to make the move and remove the folder $Windows.~BT. I thought, it's just a folder, it's been downloaded to my system without my say so and as yet hasn't been installed. So I'll just delete it. Right click the folder, clicked delete! A window opened...

"You need permission to remove this file"

It's been put on my PC, without my permission. But, I (the administrator) needs permission to remove it!? Who do they think they are, arrogant or what?!

For sometime (before it's launch on an unsuspecting world) I, (a nobody in the greater scheme of things) have had my concerns about the coming of W10 or as it was seen at that time, the next, maybe 'Win9' Operating System? (OS). Not least, because it would be heralding from the Microsoft stable.

Looking back at all that has gone before, the procession has hardly been an auspicious progression of progressive greatness, has it? So it was with some trepidation that I half welcomed and half dreaded the onset of this new dawn, in the latest chapter of the Microsoft dynasty.

I wasn't to know, (no-one was) that this was going to be the latest and perhaps greatest OS disaster in the history of Microsoft. Yes there may be aspects that could be described as good, but these are so easily overlooked on the back of all that's bad. Initially, the pressure to download, followed by the blocked regular 7/8 updates. Then along came the sting of a forced install.

If these faux pas weren't bad enough, look no further than that EULA. Yes, it's true I hold my hands up, in the past, I, like so many others who have wanted a particular (free) software programme; have turned a blind eye to the contents of the EULA. By just clicking on the 'I Agree' button, knowing that if I didn't I wouldn't be getting the software. But hey, hitherto they've only said something along the lines of...

'...This non-exclusive License allows one registered user to install and use the Software on one (1) computer or local workstation only, subject to the terms and conditions of this License Agreement...'etc

'...The update or upgrade may only be used to replace the original, legally licensed version and the original version may not be transferred to another user or other third parties...'etc

'...Reverse engineering, disassembly, decompilation and any and all other methods capable of providing access to the trade secrets contained in the Software are all strictly and expressly prohibited...'etc

Yeah, yeah I know all this, it's doing my head in, just give me the freeware already!.

Did we ever think that one day some company would come along and take advantage of our lack of diligence. In a world where so many sicko's lay in wait to pounce on stupid and unwary folk? No of course we didn't, we are the innocents, sure we know it happens, but to someone else, not us!.

Then along comes Microsoft, our buddy that sold us the world and more in a little box. Out of everyone that we might think could be out to get us, it wasn't Microsoft. Why not? Because, for all it's past mistakes, it hurts itself and it's own credibility more than it hurts anyone else. Almost every time it launches a new OS (with 1 or 2 exceptions) it shoots itself in the foot!

So, with that in mind, how did they think that this, their latest harbinger, would be received by the people of the world? What were they thinking? Or perhaps the question should be...were they thinking? Could the truth of the matter be that they have got too big and it's gone to their heads. Their latest EULA that accompanies Win10 would have you believe that this might well be the case.

When I read...

"Problem: MSFT, magazines and other public-discourse outlets are NOT properly explaining this text. Yet it becomes your responsibility to obey, if you install Windows 10; for you become contractually bound to terms that you won't fully understand. Here in particular there is great shock at what 'rights' MSFT has over your data. Should be even greater shock at MSFT's enforcement rights over the content of your machine, to the point where it can purposefully and remotely, disable or remove

• features,
  • programs, and/or
  • private and personal content
  • from your machine for reasons which in its opinion, are right.

There's no precedent for these provisions, in other products I can find. When you buy milk or shoes, the milk or shoemaker has no rights over how you use the milk or shoes. When you get your driver's license, the polity granting it to you can revoke it, yes: but it doesn't police your driving habits. When you buy other software, how you use it is your responsibility, not the software issuer's; so, there is a standard disclaimer clause to that effect; meaning, the software maker disavows any policing authority over software it contracted with you."

(The above is a direct quote from)...

http://brainout.net/frankforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59&p=53#p73  

I myself am an artist, poet, photographer and writer. So, what do you think that the above reference and explanations would mean to me?.

The following phrase came to my mind..."Big Brother is watching you", me/us!?

"Big Brother is a fictional character or symbol in George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. He is claimed to be the leader (either the actual enigmatic dictator or perhaps a symbolic figurehead) of Oceania, a totalitarian state wherein the ruling Party wields total power "for its own sake" over the inhabitants.

In the society that Orwell describes, every citizen is under constant surveillance by the authorities, mainly by telescreens (with the exception of the Proles). The people are constantly reminded of this by the slogan "Big Brother is watching you": a maxim which is ubiquitously on display. In modern culture the term "Big Brother" has entered the lexicon as a synonym for abuse of government power, particularly in respect to civil liberties, often specifically related to mass surveillance."

(The above is a direct quote from)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_%28Nineteen_Eighty-Four%29

Is it just me, or can anyone else see the comparison?.

Such is Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users