Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd+r/ -r + Dvd+rw/-rw

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

so yeah, i need to buy some DVDs for storage but i dont know which is the best for R and RW. sigh complicated things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:54 PM

No one is better than the other. All they are is a different type (like BETA and VHS video tapes). They both do the same thing.

However, as far as I am aware, -R & -RW (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) is currently the most widely supported by DVD players.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

yeah, i got a lot of pictures and that kinda stuff for DVD backup. Thanks.

#4 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

I had the same little issue at Future Shop... I couldnt decide which to buy, because I didnt know the difference... I asked the salesman, and he said there was pretty much no difference between them... just sort of a marketing thing...

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:56 PM

and he said there was pretty much no difference between them... just sort of a marketing thing...

That is pretty much the truth. They will all work at recording your data. The difference to you may be in the writing speed of each kind. Look up the specs of your particular DVD burning drive and choose the media that will burn the fastest for you. For instance, here are writing speeds for a DVD drive I own:

DVD+R 16X
DVD+RW 8X
DVD-R 16X
DVD-RW 6X
CD-R 40X
CD-RW 32X
DVD+R DL 8X
DVD-R DL 8X
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

There is not a lot of difference between DVD-R and DVD+R as far as reliability goes. OTOH there's actually more difference between brands than you might think. The ones that test out best seem to be Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.

RW disks, plus or minus, are more prone to data loss and not considered suitable for permanent storage.

For more info on Taiyo Yuden, which is sold under different brand names, see here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178622

The entire CDFreaks website is a gold mine of information on media and recording.

#7 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

There is not a lot of difference between DVD-R and DVD+R as far as reliability goes. OTOH there's actually more difference between brands than you might think. The ones that test out best seem to be Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.

RW disks, plus or minus, are more prone to data loss and not considered suitable for permanent storage.

For more info on Taiyo Yuden, which is sold under different brand names, see here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178622

The entire CDFreaks website is a gold mine of information on media and recording.

Thanks everyone, i gotta learn and read fast, im leaving for NJ on friday and i got a digital camera so ill need it for pics and for my music im takin with me. to use with my friends laptop.

Thanks ALL!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users