Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using TV as a monitor, and remote as a mouse?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sleeptilmidnite

sleeptilmidnite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:03 PM

Basically, what I'd like to do, if at all possible, is:

1. Use a TV as a computer monitor. I've heard this is pretty simple, as long as I check and make sure the TV is compatible. If anyone has good suggestions on certain TVs, that'd be good too.

Basically, I want to be able to sit/lay on a bed/couch, like watching TV, but able to use my computer. Now, here's where it gets complicated...

2. I want to be able to move the cursor like a WiiMote does... with pointing a remote/whatever at the screen to move it. I can't find any sort of device like this when I Google search. Does one exist? The only thing someone found for me is: http://www.amazon.com/Totalconsole-Mayflash-Wireless-Sensor-DolphinBar/dp/B00HZWEB74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440689571&sr=8-1&keywords=dolphin+bar

It apparently allows the WiiMote to be used with computers. But besides that, is there a pointer device specifically made for computers?

I was also told that a trackball mouse or trackpad on a keyboard would be an option too. But I still stand by my first choice.

Oh and one more thing: would the computer's audio be able to go through the TV speakers or would I need separate speakers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

I have a laptop connected to a large screen dumb TV via the HDMI. I also have a wireless keyboard & mouse connected. I can lay back in my recliner, & stretch out my legs.

The idea of waving a remote around to control the cursor from a bed or recliner isn't very appealing & would in my opinion, take away from the whole idea of kicking back.

Those occasions I have played the Wii, I've found the pointer controls clumsy at best. Using one as an alternate to a mouse/keyboard? No way. A mouse/keyboard works

best for me.

Computer audio comes through my TV speakers, but I prefer listening using my soundbar. Ideally your computer & TV have HDMI outputs/inputs. One connection does

it all.

There is a wealth of How To articles to be found on the web. Just google 'connect PC to TV.'

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

Yeah there's a reason you don't see any remotes like that. Windows is built around being able to use the precision of a mouse. You can use a wii mote with your desktop if it has bluetooth through some layers of software and a couple hours of configuration, but you can't accurately click on anything and it's more a pain then it is useful. There is a official wireless windows remote, but it wouldn't do all what you want it to do.

The Mayflash bar is just a infrared light bar (a wii bar) combined with a bluetooth receiver and a layer of software to make using it with the Dolphin wii emulator for windows really easy. However its software claims to also add use as a windows mouse/keyboard to the wii mote. So the bluetooth thing I mentioned, but simplified down to one easy to use package. Again though, not as useful as you would think for using windows on a TV. 

Have you seen things like this? A mini keyboard and touchpad the size of smartphone to use with your desktop. A lot of people I know use them with their HTPCs like little set top boxes (essentially what you're trying to do). I personally prefer the full sized version of them since I don't mind the extra size but do mind the pain of how small the others are. Both are wireless and are made for being used in HTPCs without the sacrifice of mouse accuracy. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 sleeptilmidnite

sleeptilmidnite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

Have you seen things like this? A mini keyboard and touchpad the size of smartphone to use with your desktop. A lot of people I know use them with their HTPCs like little set top boxes (essentially what you're trying to do). I personally prefer the full sized version of them since I don't mind the extra size but do mind the pain of how small the others are. Both are wireless and are made for being used in HTPCs without the sacrifice of mouse accuracy. 

I don't like touch pads "mice" to begin with (except a drawing tablet with a pen but that's different, and I wouldn't want to use one as a mouse). And the bad reviews of those scare me off a bit. xD I know every tech products on Amazon has some bad reviews though- gotta choose which you believe, the good or the bad. But anyway, like saw101 said, I think I may just end up getting a regular wireless mouse.

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

I think I may just end up getting a regular wireless mouse.

I've ended up doing that a lot. Using a small numberpad-less wireless keyboard with a small wireless mouse....or just the mouse cause i'm to lazy to fish out the keyboard. 

Despite being completely useless for what you want. I feel like I have to mention the "couch master" and its variants out of vague relevance. A few companies make them, but here is Steigerdynamics. Way over the top and pretty hilarious if you ask me, but there must be a market if they're selling them right? There are some similar ones that are essentially a padded board - and they're also just as expensive XD 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users