Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for good Linux/Windows game controler.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

Hi I recently purchased a Dualshock 3 controller and I cant get it to work on Linux or Windows and I don't want want to install any wonky software to get it to work on Windows :nono:. Although there appears to be some legit software for Ubuntu systems from what I can see but I'll probably have to install third party software in order to make it work on Windows :unsure: , so I want to look for another controller that will work on booth Windows & Linux.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

If you have a dualshock 3 you can purchase an adapter made by mayflash. It allows you to use the dualshock 3 as though it were an xbox 360 controller for pc, wirelessly and everything. Assuming linux supports most game controllers natively, you should be able to set up the ds3 on linux with that adapter.

Otherwise, you can wait until November when the Steam Controller comes out. It is made to work with linux/mac/win.

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

If you have a dualshock 3 you can purchase an adapter made by mayflash. It allows you to use the dualshock 3 as though it were an xbox 360 controller for pc, wirelessly and everything. Assuming linux supports most game controllers natively, you should be able to set up the ds3 on linux with that adapter.

Otherwise, you can wait until November when the Steam Controller comes out. It is made to work with linux/mac/win.

You mean this? http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Wireless-PS3-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00DSFW5MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442111872&sr=8-1&keywords=mayflash+ps3

That adapter reqires software at least for haptic feedback it looks decent and has alot of postive reviews. There also the Logitech Gamepad F310 and according to this arctical : https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/logitech-f310-gamepad-review-on-linux.5404/

its compaditble with Ubuntu based distros. :wink:   But the Steam controler looks pretty good although I'm not sure about the d-pad I like playing arcade games, simlutaions, RPGs and fighters so a good d-pad is important. :thumbup2:  BTW have you heard of Antimicro?

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

Heard of the F310. Not all good things. I needed a PC controller and a PS3 controller as well, so I went the mayflash route. So far, it works wonderfully, no complaints. Check and see if somebody has made a driver for the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (as opposed to the xbox 360 only controller) on Linux. That opens the door to the ds3 and the xbox 360 controllers. I assume there is a DirectInput equivalent on Linux so that can cover most other controllers, such as the DS3 when you plug it in. In the past I have researched PC game controllers thoroughly and pretty much it is:

• Logitech F310: Works good, but may have reception issues.
  • Dualshock 3: Excellent controller if you can get a reliable connection.
  • Xbox 360: Best overall controller for PC currently, may have fuse issue in usb receiver.
  • Steam Controller: Potentially the only controller you will ever need. Ever.

D-pads are important indeed! One of the reasons I got my DS3 for my PC is because I can count it to be compatible with emulation. Don't know yet how the Steam Controller will work. I have not heard of Antimcro, don't have a use for gaming in linux, yet.....! :D In Windows I use xpadder to assign buttons if needed.

Edited by Gorbulan, 12 September 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller for my gaming needs, but if you want wireless you may want to invest in a bluetooth dongle and a Bluetooth gamepad 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Heard of the F310. Not all good things. I needed a PC controller and a PS3 controller as well, so I went the mayflash route. So far, it works wonderfully, no complaints. Check and see if somebody has made a driver for the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (as opposed to the xbox 360 only controller) on Linux. That opens the door to the ds3 and the xbox 360 controllers. I assume there is a DirectInput equivalent on Linux so that can cover most other controllers, such as the DS3 when you plug it in. In the past I have researched PC game controllers thoroughly and pretty much it is:

• Logitech F310: Works good, but may have reception issues.
  • Dualshock 3: Excellent controller if you can get a reliable connection.
  • Xbox 360: Best overall controller for PC currently, may have fuse issue in usb receiver.
  • Steam Controller: Potentially the only controller you will ever need. Ever.

D-pads are important indeed! One of the reasons I got my DS3 for my PC is because I can count it to be compatible with emulation. Don't know yet how the Steam Controller will work. I have not heard of Antimcro, don't have a use for gaming in linux, yet.....! :D In Windows I use xpadder to assign buttons if needed.

I think part of the reason my Dualshock3 isn't working is because I don't have any Bluetooth for my desktop. I heard certain Bluetooth dongles work better than others for the DualShock3 I thinking about getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Raspberry-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442126419&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+dongle+linux

And I found some tutorials on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSaOJJIun8  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONp--MdnE4 the first video recommends installing the XBox360 controller drivers along with other Microsoft software but second video doesn't mention any additional software besides Better DS3 either way it looks Mayflash isn't necessary but Mayflash is probably the simplest method for Windows, regardless its better then MotionJoy which is malware speaking of which I scanned BetterDS3 :busy: : https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/sample/278da80149401e1524c78ec5250ab0ae1bb8b779b08116d3f81d1a2eb8dc2a4d?environmentId=2 it diffidently looks safe.

And yes there is a way to get the Dualshock3 to work in Ubuntu based distros with QTsixa : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2yKiMxisM0

AntiMicro is a open source multi platform alternative to Xpadder and you can find on GitHub, I tried it recently and it has pretty nice interface. It was launched this may and has been receiving regular updates since then check it out on YouTube. :thumbsup:

Edited by SuperSapien64, 14 September 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the tip on AntiMicro! I am always on the lookout for game controller software.

I have gone down the road of "putting a DS3 on my PC via Bluetooth". Yes, there are certain dongles that will work, most will not. The BetterDS3 software works, but you need to mess with it to turn off the DS3 when you are done. That function does not always work. It's a big set of variables getting the DS3 to work reliably over a bluetooth dongle. That's why I got the mayflash adapter. No configuration needed on most games since it emulates the xbox 360 perfectly, and it has never failed me. With the one mayflash adpater you can do 1 xbox360 controller or 4 DirectInput controllers (generic joystick as opposed to the x360).

Anyway, that's my experience. I don't care for putting my DS3 on linux since I know the steam controller is coming. If you want reliability you should see if there is sufficient support for the xbox 360 controller on linux. If there is, then the mayflash should work with linux right out of the box. Otherwise, you are stuck with configuring a bluetooth dongle for the DS3. Much more complicated!

Let me know how it goes/what you decide!

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for suggesting the MayFlash adapter Gorbulan it works perfectly in Windows, and yes there is native XB360 controller support built into Ubuntu disros : http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/dealing-with-xbox-controllers-in-ubuntu but they don't always work and as the article mentions xboxdrv should work if the pre-installed drivers don't. BTW I noticed something in AntiMicro when pressing the throttle buttons they both show up as the same axis key does Xpadder do the same?

A couple of days from now I'm going to try the MayFlash in Linux I'll update you when that happens. :)

Edited by SuperSapien64, 21 September 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for suggesting the MayFlash adapter Gorbulan it works perfectly in Windows, and yes there is native XB360 controller support built into Ubuntu disros : http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/dealing-with-xbox-controllers-in-ubuntu but they don't always work and as the article mentions xboxdrv should work if the pre-installed drivers don't. BTW I noticed something in AntiMicro when pressing the throttle buttons they both show up as the same axis key does Xpadder do the same?

A couple of days from now I'm going to try the MayFlash in Linux I'll update you when that happens. :)

I have not had that problem with xpadder. Unfortunately every controller mapper software/controller combination has its own qwerks with every computer. My friend just can't get xpadder to do much on his system, and his system is not that different than mine.

Good luck with Linux!! :D

#10 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:29 PM

I have not had that problem with xpadder. Unfortunately every controller mapper software/controller combination has its own qwerks with every computer. My friend just can't get xpadder to do much on his system, and his system is not that different than mine.

Good luck with Linux!! :D

I just tired MayFlash on Linux and it worked perfectly. And about Antimicro the interface is different on Linux instead of axis keys for analog joypads/buttons it has a much easier to understand layout compared to the Windows version BTW after clicking the axis-3 key in Antimicro I see it has two separate key options :rolleyes:, like I said the interface has a bit of a learning curve hopefully future updates will make more intuitive like the Linux version.

Maybe your fried should Antimicro hopefully he will have more luck with that software. :)

Edited by SuperSapien64, 24 September 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#11 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

Glad to hear it worked out pretty well! I'll definitely recommend Antmicro it if he needs such software. But, we are about to become even bigger Steam fanboys because of the steam controller. Yippie!

Edited by Gorbulan, 25 September 2015 - 10:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users