Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

make a live usb with rufus but not bootable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

I am not trying to get in trouble or any one else I want to run some tools like sysinternals suite right off of the thumb drive but not install them or make it bootable. Just to pick a tool and use it.

Is this even possible?  Rufus they mostly talk about booting or installing complete operateing systems.

This I do not want. Just a thumb drive that I can plug into anything without installing. Like a live cd/dvd.

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2015 - 06:23 AM.
Moved from Linux to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

Can't you just do this  http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson1/

I don't think this is a Linux question though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

It just seems like rufus is the best tool and it is linux or no and yes I do want to be able to use it on any OS that the tools will run on.

Win;osx; linux/unix.

The windows forum they do not really want to talk about this. Possible legal issues maybe.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

But you said this: "not install them or make it bootable" and I believe, that rufus, is to make bootable media.  Also, that Link showed you how to use these tools straight from the internet, and not download or install.  Read a little further.  

I don't see any problems with using this tool for Diagnostics, but, if they won't talk about it on the other sections of this site then they won't wan that here either.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

Some confusion here I think.

Rufus is not Linux - it is a Windows tool.  You use it to make bootable USB sticks (for example operating system installers, offline virus scanners, various other tools). It can be used to make bootable USB sticks containing Linux.

You don't need it to run sysinternals tools off your USB stick (in Windows).  Simply download the sysinternals suite and extract the ZIP file to your USB stick.  These programs do not need to be installed anyway whether they run off USB or your hard drive.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

OK I downloaded the zips for the wscc tool and I think I can just unzip them and then copy or move them to the thumb drive the same way I made my first cd with a lot of tools on it. then delete the zips.

I am trying to create something easily portable that does not have a working internet or maybe does not have a cd/dvd drive that works.

A lot easier than carrying around a whole laptop.

The reason to not install can vary from not enough room or no wanting to leave a powerfull tool on a pc and a nob kill his/her pc playing with something they shouldn.t.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:33 PM

Sorry for my confusion. I used to use a live cd, everyone did but there became some controversey about useing them.

I am kinda talking about the win98 and xp era here. Never used thumb drives much. Thought maybe there was some thing special one had to do with them.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

No problem :)  I'm not sure of the controversy though.  A Linux LiveCD (or USB key) can be useful to have tucked away even for a die hard Windows fanboy!

I have a 16Gb USB stick with several Linux bootable distro's on it as well as various PC diagnostics CD's, rescue CD's, bootable antivirus, and yes the Sysinternals suite and stuff meant to be run from within Windows.  I used a program called YUMI to make it.

Edited by jonuk76, 11 September 2015 - 09:54 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

It just seems like rufus is the best tool and it is linux or no and yes I do want to be able to use it on any OS that the tools will run on.

Win;osx; linux/unix.

The windows forum they do not really want to talk about this. Possible legal issues maybe.

I believe your assertion about "The windows forum" and your speculation...casts a false light on what has transpired.

Within a week, you have initiated at least 20 or more topics.  From what I see, none of them validates your assertion and what could be considered an insinuation anyone did or stated anything to give credibility to your quoted assertion.

I haven't looked at all of your topics...but I have briefly looked at what you posted and some of the responses.

Please post a link to the topic which you feel forms the basis for your assertion regarding "The windows forum", please.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2015 - 06:35 AM.

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

My statement comes from years ago [think win 98]. In this and other security based forums there developed a trend of thinking that using some of the tools from off of Live cd's may legally be a breach of the individual tools ULA so we quit talking about them or explaining how to build them.  Mainly the Window Security forum at that time.

Not trying to cause trouble just trying to learn how to properly use some of the new technology.  I have fallen far, far behind.

I quit going to security type forums shortly after win 2000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users