Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes on bootup at Windows Logo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IHateComputersNow

IHateComputersNow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

I have a computer that my friend asked me to look at because I'm usually the person people ask to fix little things with their computers. Replace screens, install new parts, remove malware, help them set it up, etc.. But this computer is driving me mad and I cannot figure out what needs to be done with it at this point. I would like to be able to tell my friend if they should just buy a new computer, a new part, or if it can be fixed. 

The issue is the computer will not boot. It will load past the BIOS screen, but when it says "Loading Windows" it will just freeze and not go any further. I tried to boot it into Safe Mode, and it will load until CLASSPNP.SYS then freeze again. No startup option goes past the Windows loading screen, and selecting "launch computer repair" also just freezes the computer. 

The computer is a Dell Vostro 260 and the things I have tried in no certain order are listed below:
  • I tried using a Windows installation disk to get to the repair option, but it freezes just like when the computer boots.
  • I tried using a Linux Live disc to access the hard drive, but the Linux splash screen displays for a split second and then a blank screen appears with a flashing underscore and it goes no further.
  • I removed all peripherals except the keyboard, still freezes.
  • I took out each stick of RAM individually to see if it boots, still freezes.
  • I removed the network card, which actually allowed the Windows logo to load a little bit more this time, but it still froze.
  • I used Hirens Boot disc, which seemed to freeze when loading any program that was not DOS based.
  • I ran most of the diagnostic tools on the Hirens disc, everything was a pass. RAM, CPU, Hard Drive, etc.. PASS.
  • I put in a brand new blank drive with no OS and then tried to boot the Windows install disc. It got past the first black and white loading screen, but then it went to that second loading screen with that older Win XP style loading bar, and it froze. Again.
  • I put the new blank drive in another computer, installed Windows on it from that computer, and then transferred it back to the broken computer. This one caused it to just reboot over and over when it hit the Windows logo, when I disabled automatic restart it gave me a stop code "0x0000007b (0x80786B58, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" for Inaccessible Boot Device.
  • I reset the BIOS to default by removing the CMOS battery and selecting load defaults in the BIOS menu. Still freezes.
  • I took the original hard drive, placed it another working computer, and it still froze at the Windows logo. YET, if I just load it as a slave drive then I can see everything on it just fine.

I will try to reply as soon as possible if someone comments, but I have a busy weekend ahead. Any help, advice, or ideas would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

There's definetely a hardware issue with this device... Maybe I'm not the right person to reply to this topic as I spent my whole last hour reading about the "badBIOS" virus and that's started some wild ideas in my head but nevertheless there definetely seems to be a hardware issue with this device... The fact that the old OS won't boot on a working computer is interesting but there's probably something corrupted in it due to a hardware issue... It is quite confusing especially since Hirens Diagnostics which are usually fairly thorough passed on everything... If you can get it to boot to MS-DOS try running a BIOS Update using the latest BIOS Flash for that system... Apart from that there's not much information since just the information you provided above is baffling... Good Luck man!

#3 IHateComputersNow

IHateComputersNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

The only BIOS update available is an .exe file that from my brief google searching showed not many people having luck with installing it unless you get to the desktop.

I forgot to mention I also tried replacing the SATA cable, which also didn't help.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

Have you tried a bootable memory test?  http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html

Otherwise, have you tried removing sticks of RAM and testing them one at a time in the first slot, then the second slot, etc

If a good stick remains, you may be able to get it to load that way.

Beyond that, try this procedure to see if you can find the offending component:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 IHateComputersNow

IHateComputersNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

I did try to boot with different individual RAM in various slots to see if it'd boot, but it still froze. I ran several diagnostics on the Hirens boot disk which all gave the RAM a pass, but I didn't test one stick of RAM at a time which seems to be what you're suggesting so I can try that.

I read that guide you posted, and it seems that I have the system down to pretty much the bare minimum at this point with no luck. I'll read over it again to make sure I'm not missing anything, but besides replacing individual parts and trying to boot I don't know if I have a lot of options left lol

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

Locating faulty hardware is a real pain at times.

Good luck.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users