Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I just need the latest ATI RADEON Xpress 200 series graphics drivers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

A Mozilla crash report has suggested that I upgrade my graphics drivers to version 9.6 or later.  I'm only running version 6.14 circa 2005.  I do not yet know whether or not it matters whether I am running Windows XP sp2 (my current OS install) or sp3.  I just cannot find the latest drivers after looking all over.

AMD took over ATI but they don't have the drivers back that far at their site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

According to AMD this is the latest driver for the Xpress 200. But, you should really be updated to SP3. 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy1&os=Windows%20XP%20-%20Professional/Home&RenderOnServer=true

#3 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

A simpler thing to do would be to just visit your Computer Manufacturer's website and find the list of drivers for your supported device...

#4 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

A simpler thing to do would be to just visit your Computer Manufacturer's website and find the list of drivers for your supported device...

I went to the AMD site, but my device is not listed, only devices back to Series 210, mine is Series 200.

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

By the way, I just ran the installation for sp3 a 2nd time since I've made some very minor changes that might allow it to get past that "Data is invalid" error I've been posting about.

So it did all the phases, back up old stuff, install new files, update registry, run processes after install, and now it's on the Performing cleanup.

Am I just about there?  This "Performing cleanup" phase has been running for about 10 minutes or so, with occasional blinks of the screen.  Should I just accept everything when it finally says something more?  It seems I'm almost there?

Does anyone know if "Performing cleanup" has an error, does it really matter?  Is it just some files in some directory?  That I don't need.  Could I just shut down the update process and pretty much it's ok?  I know this might be a hard question.  It's getting to be 15 or 20 minutes of "Performing cleanup" now.  Is that a long time in computer life?

It DID so something to Outlook or something, perhaps it's still alive.

I've heard it can take as long as almost 3 hours - logs might still be updating - I'll check the logs.

Edited by PetarSickey, 12 September 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#6 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

I to the final dialog "Completing the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Installation Wizard", You have successfully completed the Service Pack 3 Setup Wizard, etc.., etc,, to apply the changes, the wizard has to restart windows, etc..

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

Restart Windows and you should have XP SP3. Right click My Computer > Properties. It will show you have SP3.

Edit: Be prepared to install quite a few Security Updates.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 September 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#8 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, I'm running sp3 now, only problem is, the browsers Mozilla and Google Chrome still crash.  It's exactly the same crash each time in Mozilla - same place in xul.dll.  I still have not heard from Mozilla.  I may need to use a debug version or something and start digging in.  I don't want to keep scanning my computer with tools.  The problem is that the tools are leaving stuff on my computer.  I have a dllhost that starts up, if I stop it, it starts again.  I never had this before.  I don't know what it's hosting.  But I will still need to go over my computer to get rid of stuff.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Have you tried resetting firefox? You will need to backup your bookmarks and any addons will have to be reinstalled. You updated your graphics driver, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 September 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#10 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

I have not yet updated my graphics driver as I would like to read up on this driver installation first - just a standard thing that I do before diving in.  I am always extra careful with graphics as one wrong mode set and you can fry all the way to the microprocessor.  But in good time, I'll update the graphics.  What I really want is an analysis of the Mozilla Crash Report.  Mozilla says to send it to them but I never hear back.

In the meantime, tomorrow I will take your suggestion and try resetting Firefox - I had a lot of other jobs to do today so I did NOT fire up that machine.

By the way, when you mention plugins and stuff, could my Adobe Flash or whatever cause browser troubles - it always asks me to Allow or Allow and Remember.  It never acts like I want it enabled.  Perhaps I disabled it some time ago - entirely possible, so I'll check that tomorrow as well as doing the reset.  Perhaps as you say, I will need to reinstall some add-ons.  It's entirely possible.  I wonder if I should try Internet Explorer to see if it has the same problem?  I don't know whether or not the browsers are using a sort-off Acxtivex common control approach or are they writing browsers from scratch?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:57 PM

Flash for Firefox can be uninstalled in Control Panel. I would uninstall it and see if you continue to get the errors. 

#12 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

Here is the correct driver for the ATI Radeon Xpress 200:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/10469/Graphics-ATI-Radeon-Xpress-200-Graphics-Driver

This is the last driver that was developed for your device but there may be custom built drivers out there with support for newer features of newer operating systems.​

#13 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

Flash for Firefox can be uninstalled in Control Panel. I would uninstall it and see if you continue to get the errors. 

Since you mentioned an add-on like Flash or plug-in or whatever, I decided to go to add-ons, updated my Adobe Flash, then I decided to click on the extensions icon and look at extensions.  I want you to take a look at this pic - it shows something called XULRunner - remember it was xul.dll that always crashes.  I think I need to get these extensions cleaned up - just make sure I have what it needs but I think I might have just hit the nail on the head, or at least I raised the hammer

Notice that XULRunner, a Mozilla runtime package has been disabled for security reasons or something.  I don't remember whether it was me or something else.

Time to update and try it I guess.

Attached Files

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

Since it is disabled it should not have causes a problem but you can delete the extension in Firefox extensions folder or do a refresh that should get rid of it. You would need to reinstall any extensions you want. Also back up your bookmarks.

You do no need that extension.

XULRunner

See this page for manually removing an extension.https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cannot-remove-add-on-extension-or-theme

#15 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

Since it is disabled it should not have causes a problem but you can delete the extension in Firefox extensions folder or do a refresh that should get rid of it. You would need to reinstall any extensions you want. Also back up your bookmarks.

You do no need that extension.

XULRunner

See this page for manually removing an extension.https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cannot-remove-add-on-extension-or-theme

I just refreshed firefox.  I'll now try running for a few hours and see if anything better.  But my computer just crashed a moment after the refresh so I don't feel confident.  Perhaps I have to reenable things again - like add-ons and extensions.

I'm doing all kinds of searches now for things like XULRunner, spotgrit which is was starts it and

Edited by PetarSickey, 14 September 2015 - 01:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users