Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install Windows 10 ISO

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

According to MS Updater my system meets all the requirements to update to Win X.
However, I wish not to update at this time and have hidden the update that will download and install Win X.

If and when I decide to update to Win X I would prefer to do a "clean install"
using a dvd. I've used these to create a system image on my current OS and thought it would be adequate to download and burn an ISO of Win X.
I've read where many people installing Win X prefer this method rather than overwriting the currest OS.

Sorry to say that I have never done this before and am seeking some advice.

Is there a tutorial or some"step-by-step instructions for dummies", (not the most most knowledgeable in this field ). Certainly don't want to inadvertantly install Win X at this time.

Thought I would ask fellow members who surely have more experience than I.

Thanks, sikntired

Edit: Apologies if this is not the proper sub-forum

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 September 2015 - 06:17 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

You have to do the upgrade first, so that Microsoft can transfer your existing license for 7 or 8.1 to 10. After the upgrade, you can do as many clean installs as you wish.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your response leithanne however I may not have been clear. Burn Win X ISO to DVD to do a "clean install" at a later date.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for your response leithanne however I may not have been clear. Burn Win X ISO to DVD to do a "clean install" at a later date.

Burning an .iso to a DVD is really easy. What is you current version of Windows? If it's 8 or above, you can burn an image directly by right-clicking on the .iso and select Burn image. If you are on Windows 7 or below, you can use ImgBurn (it bundles OpenCandy, simply delete the folder in AppData\Roaming after the install and you'll be good) at burn the .iso on a CD or DVD at a slow speed (4x should be good) and enable the integrity verification. Once done, you should be able to boot from it and install Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for replying Aura. My current OS in Win 7 Sp1 Professional. Doesn't this particular version of Windows have the capability to do what ImgBurn will do? If not,

delete OpenCandy in AppData\Roaming?

Sorry, this is why I requested  very very simplified instructions or a tutorial for Dummies. I've tried looking at various other sites to find this type of instruction but they seem to take for granted some steps and omit others. I hesitate to do things unless I feel I've done a thorough research and have enough knowledge to proceed.

This is why I've come to BC to get Step-By-Step instructions so I will learn. As a Septuagenarian, we need a little handholding until we successfully complete a project on our own. I've found This Forum to always be forthcoming, for novices like me, with their generosity of expertise.

I probably haven't said this enough but BC is the best IMHO.

#6 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

A few questions:

First if you want to do a complete clean install it would involve deleting your current operating system and everything on it... If you don't want to do that and you'd rather transfer over your existing operating system and all your files then you will need to do an upgrade either via Windows Update or by running the Setup file from the Disc/USB that has Windows 10 on it... But if you want to transfer your files and operating system over anyway then you would want to do it from Windows Update...

Also it is important to note that if you do a Clean Install of Windows 10 you won't be able to activate it as the only way to use your Windows 7 product key is to upgrade from Windows 7... Which would mean you would do a clean install of Windows 7 then upgrade from there... Sorry if this sounds complicated I'm doing my best to explain it to you

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

@ sikntired.......I dont want to over complicate things here....and nor do I wish to add to the many opinions/suggestions....

however, there may well be a straight forward solution.

Read THIS PAGE   it is a Microsoft page, so hopefully we can believe what is written there. 

Most of it is straightforward....if you want to download the OS to a dvd or a usb stick....here the downloads etc ect etc....BUT....the linteresting sentence to me is this ::

IMPORTANT: To upgrade for free, select Upgrade this PC now in the media creation tool. You should NOT be asked for a product key during the upgrade process. If you create a USB and use it to install, make sure to remove the USB as soon as setup begins. If you don't, you may be prompted for a product key. If this happens, remove the USB and restart your PC to continue with setup.

etc

This may well prompt a few questions from you....and if that is the case...ask away !!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:50 AM

@BenjaminsiPod, thank you for your interest in helping. To be honest, I would like to do the upgrade the easiest way possible. But I have read numerous articles where those who have updated using Windows Update experience problems. Mind you, I am not intending on updating to Win X anytime in the near future as I like my Win 7 just the way it is. But, eventually I know that it will become necessary. (Just amazed at how fast technology advances).

@Condobloke, thanks to you as well. And yes I did come across the MS article to which you referred. I can understand how confused one can get with all the articles written about updating to Win X, and I'm one of them.

It comes down to whether I trust downloading the Media Creation Tool and allow Win X to install by overwriting my existing OS and hopefully no problems will arise or to do a clean install.

Another question I have : Will I have to install all the updates that I have hidden that concern the Win X update process or preparation ?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

Just to clarify what leithanne posted, you have to upgrade to Windows 10 from a running Windows 7 system first. You cannot do the upgrade by booting the Windows 10 DVD and then installing. You can boot Windows 7, put the Windows 10 DVD in your optical drive and then double click the setup.exe file on the DVD. 

After Windows 10 gathers your hardware info and activates you can boot the Windows 10 disk, delete all your partitions and continue with the install.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

@BenjaminsiPod, thank you for your interest in helping. To be honest, I would like to do the upgrade the easiest way possible. But I have read numerous articles where those who have updated using Windows Update experience problems. Mind you, I am not intending on updating to Win X anytime in the near future as I like my Win 7 just the way it is. But, eventually I know that it will become necessary. (Just amazed at how fast technology advances).

You have more chances to succeed with the upgrade by using the Media Creation Tool than by going via Windows Update.

It comes down to whether I trust downloading the Media Creation Tool and allow Win X to install by overwriting my existing OS and hopefully no problems will arise or to do a clean install.

Another question I have : Will I have to install all the updates that I have hidden that concern the Win X update process or preparation ?

Looks like I already replied to this question with my sentence above. If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update, then yes, you'll have to install the prerequisite updates for it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

Oh one more thing... Microsoft will probably discontinue the free upgrade to Windows 10 in about a year so keep that in mind when looking to upgrade... Just a thought

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

Microsoft will probably discontinue the free upgrade to Windows 10 in about a year

Microsoft will discontinue the free upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th 2016, which is exactly one year after the release of Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#13 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:42 AM

Thanks to all of you who have taken an interest and replied. My original thought was to burn an ISO to DVD and then just store it away until I deemed it necessary to move to Win X, before the free offer expired as Aura noted.

For now, I think I will wait. Who knows, MS may make some major revisions down the road,

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:49 AM

Windows 10 is coming out with a major update this November and another next year. Threshold 2 got moved to November from October.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:44 AM

No problem sikntired :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users