Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2016 to have the same bad terms as Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Yet another implosion:  now MS Office 2016, will have the same nasty forced updates and terms as Windows 10.  For it's on the list of 'services' under aka.ms/msa in the Win10 EULA (specifically, Office.com), and therefore technically has its own EULA terms (those), so if you use it, MSFT has the right to slurp all your private data and police it, in addition to making you not be able to suddenly use the thing because they totally changed the interface.. again.

But the CW article is oblivious to all that, here.  It only notes the forced updates.  One more thing to warn my clients against.

Parallel article in ZDnet, here.

:nono:

Edited by brainout, 11 September 2015 - 02:31 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:22 PM

I am not entirely informed. Are these "forced updates" mandatory on power cycle regardless of power cycle type? Or are they really intrusive as in you are working and suddenly your computer reboots?

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

I don't know about the power cycle issue.  I don't use their newer software.  After 2003, every change in Word, is actually worse than the features in 2003.  I have 2013 but it came with my latest computer, and I've no desire to use it.  But 2013 is not subject to forced updates.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Post #2,
I doubt it would be forced at the instant, the next time the machine is shut down sounds much more likely, although it might give some sort of "install this now or install in 4 hours time" ultimatum.

Also, atleast with current ms office versions, updates to ms office don't usually involve a restart, they are modifiying one program not the whole OS. I think they generally need office programs to all be closed at the time, but they don't generally need a full restrt of the pc. Look at how programs update themselves, the program needs to close to perform it's update but the whole pc doesn't. Ofcourse updates to IE are another matter, because it's so deeply built into windows, they generally do involve a full restart of the OS.

Edited by rp88, 12 September 2015 - 12:02 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:55 AM

Update on the hidden gotchas in Office 2016, be sure to read the comments, here.  As someone who keeps on using MS Office 2003 because there's nothing better (other than old WordPerfect, and even it's only better for certain projects), I find it really disconcerting that MS Office doesn't recognize its newer stuff is inimical to the old stuff.. or doesn't care.  Which eventuates in big business not using the newer stuff.  As indeed, MS Office 2003 remains the world standard -- or old WordPerfect, as newer WordPerfect is bad too.

What's happened to these once venerable products?  Business has to get and keep what works, not just add on the latest because it's 'new'.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

Post #5 " Business has to get and keep what works, not just add on the latest because it's 'new'."

VERY good point, applies to everyone, not just businesses. If more people thought like that there would be far less waste in the world, and we wouldn't be running out of rare earth metals either.

This good point of yours also really does highlight the question of WHY some busineses have already "upgraded" their systems to windows 10, what possible reason would they have, even if windows 10 was as good as windows 7/8/8.1 why would they go through the trouble of "upgrading"?

Edited by rp88, 25 September 2015 - 12:20 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

Well, rp88, businesses, like people, can be thoughtful or thoughtless.  If thoughtful, then still can be making mistakes.  If not making mistakes, then some particular about the 'new' compels adoption.  That would be the same for those not adopting, ceteris paribus.

I don't rant against newer MS Office absent reason, and I'm sure there are those who rant against older MS Office with reason.  For me, those reasons don't apply.  Maybe they don't apply to the vast majority.  But for some, maybe they do.

Example: one big change in Excel is its formatting and charting, each iteration.  Some changes are to formulas; new ones which do better than the old.  Same, for perhaps the apparently now oudated Access or other parts of the Suite.  So if one needs THOSE features, yeah update.

What's sad, is that MSFT could have done everything differently.  When they wanted a ribbon, offer it as an alternative interface, rather than replace the interface which people had extensively customized for years (the old MS Office is 100% customizable).  Same with XP versus later iterations.  That's just a SKIN, for crying out loud.  It's because that SKIN was 'updated', that people didn't move.  The new SKIN was imposed, was not customizable back to what people had trained and built their business, around using.  So MSFT has been repeatedly thoughtless, since 2004.

Analogously, same for some of the innards.  Simple programmed redirects or OPTIONS a person could select, and the old software would have kept working so people could afford the time and effort to upgrade.  Like, taking a car's essential structure, but offering a variety of car bodies on top.  Improving the inner structure, and you choose to customize the outers.  Not, moving the gas tank from the back to the front, nor the steering wheel from the front seat to the back.  But MSFT didn't do that.

Now, the benefit is, that competing software companies are hopefully learning from MSFT's many mistakes, and are creating good replacements.  I don't see them yet, though some versions of Linux seem to make headway.  When Linux stops being so paranoid about permissions and so geekily proud of typing in terminal (which has its advantages, but seriously someone needs to turn those typings into shorter macros or a better GUI series).. THEN the world as a whole will benefit.

Anyway, I feel like :deadhorse:

Edited by brainout, 25 September 2015 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users