Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Q6600: can it run DDR2 PC2-6400 memory sticks?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

Want to upgrade my memory on my Dell XPS420 desktop.  I ran a scan at Crucial to see available upgrades. They offer either  5300 or a 6400 options.  Crucial says if my processor has an "FSB" speed that can handle the 6400's, they would be faster/better option.  My question:  my processor is Intel 2 Quad Q6600  @2.40 GHz 2.39 GHz , how do I determine what its FSB speed is?  Thank you !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

FSB is 1066mhz on that processor.  However, it's actually more to do with the motherboard chipset than the processor in this instance.  The Core 2 range does not have the memory controller hub (MCH) integrated into them.  That didn't come until the Core iX series.  The X38 chipset that the motherboard uses supports both 5300 (667mhz) and 6400 (800mhz) speeds.

The overriding factor though is if you are adding it to existing memory, then whatever is the slowest installed memory will determine the speed it runs at.  I.e. if you have 5300 already, it's pointless adding faster memory as it won't run at full speed anyway.  If you are replacing all the memory with new, then the 6400 would be a good choice.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

WOW !  Thank you so much ! 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76