Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At my wits ends, please help. Witcher III hitching and frame rate loss

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrH

MrH

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:05 PM

I'm having an issue where the game will work perfectly, sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for an hour, literally not a single frame drop and then before my eyes it'll start to chug and hitch constantly, and the frame rate will start to drop as well, not massively but enough to cause a constant hitching sensation that makes me feel like I'm being pulled backwards. In all my years of PC gaming I have never experianced anything like this, so I am completely stumped and I need some help, so if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts please speak up.

I have tried resetting my bios, reinstalling the game, reinstalling my drivers with DDU, going back to an older driver, playing without my overclocks, and nothing has helped. I have made a short video showing the issue, although it's honestly hard to see from the video, but you should be able to get the idea, just imagine it being much worse in-game:

My specs:

i5 3570k @ 4.3GHz

GTX 970

8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

SSD

XFI XtremeGamer 

Windows 10 64

Latest bios, firmware, drivers for everything

PS: Both my CPU and GPU are under 70c at all times.

Edited by MrH, 11 September 2015 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:12 PM

What operating system? If it is Windows 10, you may be out of luck. People have stuttering/framerate/crash issues all over the place since the drivers for Windows 10 are new.

#3 MrH

MrH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

What operating system? If it is Windows 10, you may be out of luck. People have stuttering/framerate/crash issues all over the place since the drivers for Windows 10 are new.

Windows 10 64. And are people having issues in all games, or just Witcher III? Because for example Mad Max runs flawlessly while maxed (sorry..).

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Yep. Plenty of games have problems with Windows 10, and plenty of games have no problems with Windows 10. Witcher III is one of the games that does. Give the developers/video card manufacturers time to fix all of the issues. Windows 10 just arrived, so there are bound to be problems with it.

#5 MrH

MrH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:09 PM

Well today's Nvidia driver made it even worse, the drops are more severe, as is the hitching. Bear in mind when these symptoms aren't present I get 60fps without dips everywhere:

#6 Anti_Malware

Anti_Malware

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:56 PM

Have you tried this?

Navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings.ini

Find "TextureMipBias=-1" and change it to "TextureMipBias=0"

Then save the settings..

Restart and try again..