Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Current Problems with Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

Transfered from another thread. Needed its own page

Thought i would relate my own experiences/problems. I am generally happy except for the following problems.

All was going fine until i went to use headphones to listen to something. Sound from the inbuilt speakers work fine but once i plug in headphones or external speakers into the audio out jack the sound cuts out. Cant seem to find and way of reactivating it throught the sound settings.

Next i discovered neither the screensaver function or the power saving functions (turning off the screen when PC is idle, automatic sleep mode etc) would work under 10. Always worked fine with 7. Not a massive problem as i can manualy shut the screen off or put the PC into sleep mode but if you forget to do it it will mean everything stays on, wasting power and probably working components longer and harder than they need to.

Whilst trying to sort out these problems i discovered a bigger problem. Windows Update will not work. Since i upgraded some updates to 10 had been released but instead of automaticaly downloading and installing like 7 does, these updates needed downloading and installing manual. Fine, except i cant even do that! Installation of updats fails each time i try. 

Not being able to update is a big problem, it not only means the software cant keep up to date like Microsoft promise, but with a new OS, fixes to glitches and bugs arent accessible. Worse, a PC will become vunerable to security threats as the inbuilt secutity application (Windows Defender) wont get updated either.

I am frustrated. I like Windows 10 but the above problems are significant and need solving before i can fully commit to it, or recomend it to family members etc.

If anyone else has encountered these problems and has any insight into solving them i would be keen to find out more.

Aura replied to this in the other thread. I have followed up on their suggestions.

I have managed to update the audio driver - went into Device manager found the driver and ran an update on it. It found a 10 driver (VIA HD Audio for windows 10). Bit confused, thought the audio card/driver was a Realtek one. No matter. Rebooted the PC and tried playing sound with headphones. Worked fine, until i unplugged the headphones then the speakers didnt work. Looked into this and found that for some reason i can now play sound either through speakers or headphones but not both, one has to be 'turned off' tho use the other. In the past the speakers worked until headphones were plugged into the jack then the speakers automatically cut out and vice versa. Not a massive problem as i mostly use headphones with that machine anyway. 

Windows Updates. These were failing but after 'fixing' the sound i went into Updates to see if they now worked or to find an error code if not. After a false start the pending updates appear to have downloaded and installed sucessfully. Will monitor it though in case the problem arises again. Might still be a 'bug' affectiing Updates or perhaps it was a firewall issue thats now resolved itself.

Graphics Card/driver issue preventing screensaver working or the screen from going into power save mode. No resolution as yet. Cant find the problem in Device Manager - all the visual/graphics based drivers report up to date. Any help here would be welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

Isn't it great when you can work out your issues. Two things happen 1 is you fix what was broke and second you learn while doing it.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

This is true but OJT can be very frusterating at times/all the time LOL

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

Update. Have looked further into the Graphics Card problem. The card is a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (WDDM 1.1) according to my Device Manager. 

After Windows refused to do anything with it i looked on the Intel website and theres a downloadable utility to update drivers. Guess what, no driver update found or available! Great!

Anything else i can try or am I stuck with an out of date driver and features that dont work.? I see that there is a feature new to 10 (at least new to me being post 7) called the 'Lock Screen' which like the screen saver and power saver i can configure but does not work.

Any Ideas?

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

Doesnt look as if there is any way to update this driver. Fortunately it doesnt affect the nornal running of the machine, its just annoying that some features wont work any more thanks to windows 10. Not having a screen saver isn the end of the world.

Just one thought though, i cant see how the power save settings not working properly can be as a result of the graphics driver not being updated and not fully compatible with 10. i can understand it with the screen saver and Lock Screen. 

Is the problem with the power save/power management settings a seperate issue and if so what can be done about it/

I need to resolve these issues now befor i upgade any more machines in my household to 10. One family member has already asked for my help upgrading their laptop. My own 'Mothership' desktop is still awaiting upgrade too while i try out 10 elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users