Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Identical PCs. Images don't appear one one of them- on a particular page

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bsloan1960

bsloan1960

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

My wife and I have the same Toshiba laptops connected to the same wireless router.

Yesterday on my homepage https://www.yahoo.com none of the images would load on my computer- but when I checked her computer they load just fine. So, on mine I changed my homepage to http://www.NEWS.yahoo.com- a very similar page linked from the 'defective' page and ALL of the images DO load. But when I go back to my initial homepage on any browswer the images are still gone.

I've run CCleaner, AVS virus, Malware Bytes, Restarted the computer. Why would just ONE page on one of our identical laptops fail to load images... and what can I do about it?

Oh... BTW. When I right click on the missing image and click View Image- the screen blinks real quick- them NO image is displayed. However if I grab the URL of the missing image and open it in a NEW window it will display that image.

Yesterday I posted a log file in the Virus area of this forum seeking to cure my internet bogging down.

Thanks!

Bill

Edited by bsloan1960, 11 September 2015 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

What anti virus do you use? AVS? AVG? There is an issue with Avast that causes the images on the Yahoo homepage not to load. Might be a similar problem with AVG.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

I've tracked a number of these type faults and found most due to ActiveX settings and conflicts with a Norton definition.  So it isn't confined to a certain browser or specific website.  It has more to due with whether images are scanned before display and the options within each browser.  Sometimes a two day rollback gets back to normal. 

#4 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for your reply. AVAST. Actually earlier in the day I installed AVAST so that may be it. I'll uninstall. BUT the reason I installed it is because for 2 years on this laptop I was using Avira and was happy with it- it took about 1-2 hours to run the scan. For the past sevefal  months it takes 1-2 Days to run the scan. I looked this up on google and in forums etc. and folks said the computer is full of junk and needs to be cleaned out. I followed the steps suggested but it didn't help. If I get rid of AVAST what should I use? And- how do I clean out my compter so it isn't so bogged down that Avira takes 1-2 days?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#5 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

mjd420nova I have Win 8.1- I did try to do a roll back- I assume you mean a restore point. I attempted a couple of times over the months for different reasons but the pop up tells me there is no restore point and it won't let me create one. So I keep getting stopped dead there

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

If you use Firefox it is very likely that Avast's HTTPS scanning is causing the issue. According to the thread linked below you must open Avast's settings and go to Active Protection>Webshield>Customize: Uncheck HTTPS Scanning.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1082264

Let me know if it worked.

#7 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

Update- I uninstalled AVAST and the Yahoo image problem is solved!!! BUT- I will re-install it and see if the solution offered by

Gorbulan will work. I'll let y'all know. That said. I still prefer AVIRA and would like to know why it went from taking 1-2 hours to scan- to 1-2 Days.

#8 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

Latest Update. OK I re-installed AVAST and did the HTTPS Scanning settings and that seemed to work. So 1) I now have AVAST up and running 2) I now have the image problems solved that were associated with it (Thank you!!!) BUT: 1) My 8.1 won't allow me to create a Resote Point. 2) My former AVIRA went from taking 1-2 hours to scan to 1-2 days... and I was told this was because the computer was full of junk. So how do I address these things Please?

Thanks,

Bill

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

Not being able to create a Restore Point is a known bug in avast. In settings disable avast's self protection and see if you can run a Restore Point. I don't know if it has changed but avast's NG component uses System Restore so that could be the problem too. Avast will increase your System Restore storage. See how much is allocated. If disabling avast's self protection does not work uninstall avast and see if you can then create a Restore Point.

I recommend Bitdefender Free for a AV. It's a real install and forget it AV with excellent protection. You do need to create a free account though. It does have problems with Windows 10 so if you upgrade to 10 you will need to find another AV until Bitdefender releases an update if ever.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

I concur with JohnC's recommendation of BitDefender over Avast.

I used Avast for years but had to get rid of it. Avast seemed to be a resource hog, it failed in defending me from a virus I installed, unintentionally. Ok ok, that was my fault. Also, I don't like how many checkboxes I have to click-off just to have a nag free computer experience.

I used BitDefender until a bug with multiple displays made it too annoying. Now I use Panda AV. I think it is good.  :unsure:  I will definitely go back to BitDefender if they fix that bug. Only problem I had with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users